super sleepy powerbook!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wootang71, Apr 14, 2007.

1. wootang71 macrumors newbie

my powerbook keeps going to sleep automatically! i'll be using it one moment, the next it just goes to sleep! it's a 15" powerbook g4 with the latest software updates. i just set it to 'never sleep' in energy saver. hopefully that keeps it from going to sleep all the time. but in the mean time, any one know anything about this prob and what to do?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Have you installed any software other than the software updates? Try to create a new user account and see if the problem still persists.

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

This was actually a pretty common problem. The issue is you have a defective heat sensor, likely in the trackpad, that is not reading the right temperature and is instead jumping around randomly. If it jumps high, the computer thinks it is overheating and goes to sleep.

If you can, take to an apple store, or other authorized repair folk, and ask them to take a look at your system log file. It should contain the overheat warnings.

Unfortunately, the only solution is to have the entire trackpad, palmrest area replaced.

This happened to my sister, and once apple replaced the part, the problem went away.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just had this same problem fixed about a month ago. The solution was indeed to replace the temperature sensor near the trackpad. I've now got a brand-new top case. :)