Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I'm planning to buy a jet black iPhone and I'd like to get a leather case for it this time (after using a plastic case with my iPhone 6), but every leather case I can find - even the 'slim' ones - seem to have an average thickness of around 3mm which seems too bulky for my taste. Clearly I'm not looking for something which provides drop protection, just something to give the phone a nice feel while helping to prevent micro abrasions.

Can anybody recommend or suggest a leather case that is 2mm thick or less with a soft interior?

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I absolutely love my Nomad case. Not sure about the 2mm thickness but it's an excellent case with great protection around the entire phone, IMO much better than any of the other leather cases I've seen including Apple's. I don't know what leather cases you've looked at before but there's going to be a limit to how thin a real leather case can be, too thin and leather will just wear away to show the plastic underneath.

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
I absolutely love my Nomad case. Not sure about the 2mm thickness but it's an excellent case with great protection around the entire phone, IMO much better than any of the other leather cases I've seen including Apple's. I don't know what leather cases you've looked at before but there's going to be a limit to how thin a real leather case can be, too thin and leather will just wear away to show the plastic underneath.

What leather case is it? They don't have great images on their website.

Older bird

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
Thanks, Doesn't have any images of the inside of the case. Is it similar to Apples?
It's basically the same case except it has better coverage on the bottom. I had both and returned the apple product. They both have the felt inner liner but the apple has the aluminum buttons. They are about the same thickness and weight.

Reactions: Braddrum

Braddrum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
UK
It's basically the same case except it has better coverage on the bottom. I had both and returned the apple product. They both have the felt inner liner but the apple has the aluminum buttons. They are about the same thickness and weight.

Cheers Birdy man!

Reactions: Older bird

crazymeeshu

macrumors regular
May 5, 2015
West Virginia
Is there anything like the Nomad or Apple case, but with full coverage on the bottom? The Nomad has a little notch cutout for the lightning connector. Also, preferably black.

5578881cv12d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Is there anything like the Nomad or Apple case, but with full coverage on the bottom? The Nomad has a little notch cutout for the lightning connector. Also, preferably black.

5578881cv12d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000
Apples original leather case did cover the bottom fully. The issue was the piece in front of the lightning connector is so thin it cracks very easily. I went thru about 3 of them in a year (Apple was very good at exchanging them). My guess is they learned their lesson and changed it due to it cracking so easily. When they first made the change it worried me but in real life usage it makes no difference. These cases have saved my phones from some serious drops, case takes a beating and gets scuffed but then blends in after a few weeks and you dont even notice it. They are way tougher than they appear to be.

jlczl

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I have the apple leather case but also have a Sena Ultra Slim Sleeve for whenever I want to go caseless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.