Super Slow and laggy, Simply Mac cannot figure out.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by glitchvdub, Sep 17, 2013.

1. glitchvdub, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

glitchvdub macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 macbook unibody. Since I bought it 5 months ago, it has been a bit slow. Since this was my first Mac and I haven't had a laptop for a while I thought it was just the way it was. The only way I can temporally fix it is to restart the computer.

Issues I have been having:
    • After it has been asleep I will wake it up. Shortly after I will be tying in a URL and there will be a 2-6 second delay from when I type the word to when it shows up. I have noticed this in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
    • Doing light editing in Lightroom will cause the computer to freeze and not respond for a few minutes.
    • I get the beachball a lot even when just typing, opening programs.
    • Some programs will go in and out of not responding.

Steps done to diag:
    • Reinstalled OS and upgraded to Mountain Lion
    • Fixed permissions
    • Verified disc showed ok
    • Replaced RAM
    • Cleared caches
    • Re-installed all programs (did not install from backups)
    • Took to Simply Mac, they could not find any causes of slowness

Specs:
    • Late 2008 Macbook 13'
    • 8GB RAM
    • 250GB stock HD (only 55GB used)
    • Core 2 Duo 2.4

I am thinking of replacing my HD, could be having some issues that tech tools nor Disk Utility are catching, but I am unsure.

EDIT: Tech Tools did say my spin up time was slow. But after searching it, it could be a fluke.

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Well really the only upgrade left is getting an ssd, you have done the ram, so with out having to fork out for a new system, all that's left that can be realistically done.

But a ssd I think would solve the issues you have listed because most of the things you have listed are relying on that hdd which will only be a 5400rpm drive so you will defiantly see less of that beach ball with a ssd.

3. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Have you done a Smc reset and have you zapped the pram. Also make sure the ram you installed is the correct speed for your macbook. If you put in ram of a higher bus speed (mhz) then your mac will automatically down clock itself and run slower as a result.