Super Slow App Syncing

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Ensoniq, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Ensoniq macrumors regular

I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble syncing Apps that you've bought via iTunes into the iPhone or iPod Touch. Trouble meaning snail-slow syncs.

Before I installed the 2.0 firmware, I had downloaded 74 of the free apps so that I'd be ready to get them installed. Now that I have 2.0, all my music and videos re-synced at normal speed to my iPhone 1.0, but app syncing is so slow I am going insane!

How come it was relatively quick re-transferring 6 GB of audio and video, but 127 MB of apps is still syncing after nearly 30 minutes here? The amount of data is like the equivalent of 40 songs of 3 MB each, which would take like 2 minutes.

Anyone else seeing this slowdown? Does syncing each app require a connection to the iTunes store, which maybe is making things slower considering how many troubles Apple has had today?

Thanks!

2. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

It's slow for me as well. When you load music on, it's mostly a direct file copy from your computer to your iPhone/iPod touch. With the apps, they probably go through an installation phase on the iPhone/iPod touch and that would require a bit of cpu time and writing files to different parts of the file system.

3. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I was wondering about the slow installation too, but the above explanation makes sense.

But wow, 74 apps!! What are you going to do with all those????

4. App1€ macrumors regular

Yeah that and backing up my iPhone is taking a year and a day, all I did was take it off for a second to show off my light saber =P now I have to wait forever to put more on.

5. Ensoniq thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing, probably...I've already deleted quite a few. I just downloaded the ones that sounded interesting so I could try them out.

I am finding that many are either buggy, or silly, or not my cup of tea. But at least they were all free apps. I feel sorry for those who have to pay for an app they decide they don't like. ;)

6. punitnaker macrumors regular

I bought Super Monkey Ball via the App Store on the iPhone rather than through iTunes. And its taken about 2/3 minutes to sync the app :(. I thought i broke it already!