Super Slow Internet on New MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smellysongs, Jun 4, 2008.

1. smellysongs macrumors newbie

Hello,

I purchased my MacBook last week:
    Mac OS X Version 10.5.3
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I've never had a Mac before, so I'm pretty much Mac illiterate. I have a wireless connection in my house so I'm using AirPort, and the Internet is super slow. It takes 20-60+ seconds to load the Mac homepage. My dad also has a notebook (not a Mac) and he doesn't seem to have any problems with speed.

I don't know what to do. I've looked through some various threads here to try to figure it out, but I'm not confident enough to change things without having explicit instructions.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm sorry if I'm not providing enough info; just let me know if you need to know anything else!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely a problem with your connection or router to the MB. Refer to your "Everything Mac" Manual, Chapter 4, pages 47-50. Sometimes new MB owners will plug in the Ethernet Cable, and establish a Ethernet Cable connection first. This should work out your situation and remember to refer to your ISP or network administrator, that's what I did for my initial slowness that I experienced. Good Luck.

3. NetworkMeUp macrumors newbie

NetworkMeUp

You can try running Speed Meter Pro, to help you pinpoint why your wireless network or internet is slow.

Or another thing you may want to try (because you have a home network with PC's and Mac's), check out Network Magic for Mac. This should get you on the right track with your home networking needs, especially for someone starting out with their first Macbook. Hope this helps!