Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superpaicho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I am a complete newbie, I have had my MacBook Pro for over a year and a half with no problems. Suddenly my internet connection is impossibly slow. I have looked on the message board and tried a few of the fixes recommended but to no avail. It is not the actual connection because the other computer in the house works well. I went to speedtest.net and these were my results: Download speed 2.63Mb/s Upload speed 0.43Mb/s ping 30ms. Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad? Any tips? As you can see I am clueless, any help would be great. Thanks.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
In order to know if your speeds are slow, we need to know the rated speed of your internet service. What speed is the other computer getting?

superpaicho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Other computer

O.k. so the other computer tested like this: ping 26ms, Download 2.51mbps, upload 0.43 mbps. The Provider is ISP Telekom Austria which has 3 out of 5 stars. Does that help?
Thanks.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
if you have a router connect, try reseting it from scratch and you may have it locked down a bit. Try to bypass the router and just feed the line straight to the computer. If it is faster then, its the router thats bad. if it's still slow then you need to contact ur company.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Try restarting your computer. I know it sounds stupid, but trust me it help to restart it every 10 days or so, just to give it a kick.

If that doesn't work then empty the browser's cache, history, cookies etc.

Good luck!

superpaicho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Ok I will try the router thing! I have restarted, I emptied the cache reset safari and even tried a few things I you tubed. Thanks for the advice, this internet thing is driving me crazy, it is like watching paint dry......

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
O.k. so the other computer tested like this: ping 26ms, Download 2.51mbps, upload 0.43 mbps. The Provider is ISP Telekom Austria which has 3 out of 5 stars. Does that help?
Thanks.
No it doesn't help, you are giving us the speed the computer is getting. We need the numbers you are paying for from your provider. What does your provider say they are selling you?

For all we know you are paying for 3mbps downloads. If so then your download numbers are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.