Super slow start up, shut down and emptying trash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andriusk, Nov 4, 2014.

1. andriusk macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm running Mavericks on a 2008 Macbook Pro, and have been experiencing extremely slow start ups, shut downs and, just recently, super slow trash emptying. I checked the preferences for the trash, and "Empty Trash Securely" is not checked.

I'm wondering what's going on, and if there's anything I can do to fix these problems? The only major change I can remember was buying a new external hard drive for my time machine.

Thanks!!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your HDD could be on its way out.

Back up everything you have and buy a new hard drive for it.

3. andriusk thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I actually replaced my hard drive earlier this year.

4. liya1201 macrumors regular

This kind of thing has happened to me twice before. As yjchua95 has mentioned, the first time was due to a dying hard drive. In the second time, the HD was actually ok, but the connection of the HD was loose. Reconnected the HD with the cable firmly fixed the problem.

5. Potatochobit macrumors regular

was Mavericks working FAST BEFORE on the same hard drive?
    you can try and reinstall first and update your SSD firmware if it's an SSD

6. andriusk, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

andriusk thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's not an SSD. I did check the HDD connection and it seemed fine, though it's feeling a little faster(?) it could be my imagination.

However, I've noticed my battery power level was at 98% yesterday, and now is at 96% today. And it was turned off, and plugged in the whole time. My battery can hardly hold a charge for 45 mins. Could my battery be causing some issues?

UPDATE: Wow. So right after posting this, I unplugged my macbook, to let the charge die down. And before a song I was listening to even finished (less than five minutes), the computer just shut off. When I plugged it back in, and turned it on the battery level showed 88%.

So definitely time for a new battery. But could this be causing some of the issues?

7. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I don't think it's the battery.

When you rebooted it was at 88%, that tells me the battery is just fine.

Does your mac get hot and are the fans spinning all the time?

8. andriusk thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I just went out and bought a new battery, and that might have been it. The previous one was wrecked. Just this week it started to lose charge while plugged in. And the computer turned off as soon as I unplugged it.

I've only just started using the new one (a couple hours now) but the boot up time seemed much faster, and I just erased something from the trash and there was no delay!

I honestly think it was the battery.

Oh, and to answer your question, the computer temperature is about where it should be. I dled one of the temp monitors this year, cause I thought it was overheating but it's fine now.