Super Smash Bros Brawl has consumed my life

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 5, 2008.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

So you guys might have noticed I'm not posting as much as I used to. My life has been consumed by Brawl :D This game is just too good. I discovered the competitive scene, which is a blast, and have been going to tournaments regularly. At this point I'm AFAIK the best Peach in Washington State, though it's not that hard since there's very few Peach players, but I do get consistently beaten by a small set of players at the top of the food chain :) Most notably a certain MetaKnight. But MetaKnight is completely broken anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-jxblkSXYhY - Me vs a Level 9 Snake (watch!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ibrI6KCCp8 - Me vs my rival

Over this past week I played 12 hours at a tournament Saturday, 5 hours with a friend Sunday, 5 more hours with a friend monday and about 6 hours with a few people wednesday. It's also worth noting that I have this week off of school :D as I never would normally play this much. And my thumbs hurt.

Anyone else still Brawling away?

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Wow, 12 hours?! Thats quite a long time!

I play it, and I love it. I havent played it for that long in one session..... :eek:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*fingers in ears* lalala I can't hear you!

But seriously. I get this game in... Not long now and I can't friggin wait. If it consumes my life as much as Mario Kart Wii has then I am worried for my own game.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why didn't you do what every sensible person did ? Import it from DVD boxoffice and play it with Freeloader ? ;)

Actually I've spent 5 hours on SpaceStation Emissary and I'm about 50% complete. But to be honest I'm getting pretty bored with it.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The crown belongs to the captain....pink dress and all;)

Leave the SSB along and jump in a Kart and get some real mileage.

Bless

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I hardly play any Kart these days :( I got the game but never play it except when friends come by that don't Smash.

If you're not playing Smash Bros in multiplayer you're really missing out on the whole point of the game. SubSpace Emissary is really just filler that familiarizes you with the characters and unlocks everything.

Also, Freeloader is teh fail. Real men use the Twilight Hack/Homebrew Channel and load Gecko Region Free. I just set it up the other day on my Wii- no disc needed, region free completely in software with no modchips. Haven't actually used it yet though :D

8. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

That is insane! Kinda wondering where you had gone, but glad you're that happy with it :).

Question, what do you mean by MetaKnight being "broken"?

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

My life has been consumed by Mario Kart...I need to get back into Brawl. It would be fun to put the hurt on you and that little Peachy of yours..... :D

But, man, you play a lot of hours.

10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

He's completely unbalanced and generally considered the best character in the game by far- but in ways the developers likely overlooked. The intention was to make him a fast and fairly powerful character, but light and easy to kill, but they overpowered a few of his moves.

Try the down-smash. It comes out instantly, faster than almost any other attack in the game, does high amounts of damage and ridiculous knockback, easily capable of killing most characters. He's insanely fast and hard to land a hit on, and because his attacks have almost zero startup time and zero ending time, he can combo them in ridiculously silly ways if you get good at it. For example, run at someone, dash attack and immediately upsmash when the dashing animation ends- you land a free upsmash every time. His aerial attacks overpower almost any other attack by default, so it's hard to approach him in the air.

One of the local players, brdy, who is one of the best in the state, plays Metaknight and uses Dsmash to cover everything. He'll do crazy air combos and Dsmash the second he hits the ground so you can't punish him for the open moment (generally, the second you touch the ground can leave you vulnerable as any attack you were using in the air gets cancelled and any attack you use on the ground has a second of startup time). His up-B is also a kill move, and if you avoid it, a good player still swings around and hits you anyway. His recovery is ridiculous- four jumps, glide, up-B, and glide again!

One time I edgehogged brdy (edgehogging means I grabbed the ledge right as he used his up-B into it- during the grabbing animation I was invincible, and thus he fails to grab the ledge and falls to his death), which would have killed anyone else, and he just glides all the way under the stage, drops and pulls up and grabs the opposite ledge. This was on Smashville (the animal crossing stage).

Oh, Snake's pretty broken too. Snake and Meta are considered the two best characters- there's a tier list, divided into Low Tier characters, Mid Tier characters, High Tier characters, and Top- Snake and Meta are the top two. Both characters, in the right hand, can be so overpowered as to be ridiculous.

For those questioning Snake, you're not playing him right. Use his tilts (when you hold the analog stick in a direction and attack, rather than performing a smash attack). His forward tilt is two-hit and easily kills most people at medium %, and his up-tilt has a ridiculously large hitbox and overcomes almost anything including IIRC Toon Link's down-air.

[/rant]

:)

I can still beat most MetaKnight players, but the ones that get really good with him are REALLY hard to overcome. It's especially hard for me as my favorite approach is using Peach's hover, and Meta's up-B slams me out of it and can easily kill me.

Well, not usually this much :) It was tournament week though.

I'll play anyone online who wants to, but I'm not online with the Wii much, so you'll want to add me on AIM and tell me when you want to play. My Peach is pretty terrible over WiFi though, as I rely on precision timing so much with the hover and it gets really laggy when I play with anyone not on the west coast.

11. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I honestly haven't played it since Mario Kart came out, but at the same time I haven't played Mario Kart for about two weeks.

I did get Wii Fit last night, so we played that for a couple of hours. :)

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Who are the lowest tiered characters? Which one is the worst?

13. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Where can we find this tier list?

Honestly, MK is good, but I've never had nearly the trouble with him as I do pikachu. That little lightning rat has some many powerful moves from in close or ranged that send you flying. I have 2 friends that use him, and when it's the 3 of us they're just on either side and keep using the lightning strike, I bounce back and forth until I die. It sucks.

Of course, I'm a low tier player :).

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll have to investigate this one :)

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

TBH it's not finalized yet, there's a lot of back and forth in the smash community. It took a year for a final tier list to materialize for Melee, and they waver as people discover exploits. For example, Dedede's chain grab. http://youtube.com/watch?v=dijmBkC3_HE

There's a number of non-finalized tier lists. The following are almost universally agreed upon:

Top tier:
    Snake & MetaKnight

High tier:
    Toon Link, Game & Watch, Dedede, Marth, Pit

Mid tier:
    Mario, Kirby

Low tier:
    Jigglypuff
    Link
    Bowser
    Yoshi
    Ganondorf
    Captain Falcon

There's a few tier lists made by different Smash Bros veterans that are being debated and a final one will be hammered out. Characters like Peach and Sonic often vary between low and mid tier. Pikachu is usually high but sometimes mid tier. Lucario's usually mid but sometimes low tier. Etc.

Ganondorf, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon are universally considered the worst three in the game for tournament play.

Falcon is awesome but he has no priority- you and your opponent attack at the same time, Falcon always loses. So he's really easy to beat the crap out of and his recovery is only so-so. Ganondorf is slow with tons of lag and has almost no recovery. And Yoshi is just crappy in every game (though some consider him better in Brawl than he was in Melee, he's always low tier).

Well, tier list assumes you know all of the advanced techniques and exploits for that character. A character like Snake, for example, isn't that good if you don't know glitches like Snakedashing and don't emphasize using your tilts. So if the MetaKnight you're fighting doesn't know all of the tricks to it, he won't play worth beans.

Example of a good Meta:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZhaTkaBfbQ

Pikachu's what I would call a "cheap" character- he's got a lot of really good moves with minimal lag afterwards so there's not a lot of opportunities to punish him, but there's not a lot of advanced tricks you can do with him past the surface level. He's still REALLY good- tier lists always place him high. But I usually can beat Pikachu players- they get a pattern to them as they always use Thunder and Dsmash.

BTW, did you know Lucas' down-B can heal from Pikachu's Thunder if you put him in the right place? It's an awesome trick.

The lightning strike doesn't bug me. I usually use a long range attack to knock him out of the thunder, like Peach's forward air. I've seen two people grab me and throw me at each other and catch me out of the throw back and forth while I couldn't do anything to rack up 150% damage during a team match before though :eek:

16. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

So I've been wondering if people from this forum play this game at all. The answer seems to be yes, just not online, where the lag is too much.

My problem is that I know of no one who is online and owns the game - all my friends are of the Wii Sports ilk at most. So even though I punched in nearly all the friend codes posted in the online code thread, I can't get anybody to register me. Maybe if I leave SSMB running for a couple of hours and wait? Feels like a waste of electricity, though.

Meanwhile, playing anonymously is pretty frustrating - if I wanted lots of choppiness and timeouts, I'd whip out my old Dell laptop and boot up Windows. :D

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I love snake :). Some people just suck at him but I have found some nice little tactics. Yes, he is a bit broken but..... Anyway, I'm glad you have so much fun. I don't think I could ever play that much.

18. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Try to play against people that live near you. I find nearly no lag with someone in the same city, and minimal lag with someone in California. I played someone in New York the other day and it was pretty horrible.

If you'd like we can play a match, but it'll probably be laggy :)

Snake is great to play. So fun, despite being broken.

Use your tilts. Uptilt is ridiculously powerful and overrides anything incoming, and ftilt is just pure destruction. Also, using upsmash while running hurts bad. Google Snakedashing- it's one of the most powerful techniques out there- I never did get it down.

But, a tip for any of your opponents that might read this. If Snake up-B's past a ledge, and someone grabs him, and does no damage and lets him fall out of the grab (no throw) he doesn't get his up-B back and dies. :)

19. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

If you don't mind, I'd love to go a round or two, if only to see how bad the lag is from NYC to Washington State!

FYI, code is 4382-1845-9799; I can create a room now and wait for further instructions. I guess you can kick my butt for a few and then drop out, and I'll come back to this thread with some post-match commentary. :D

EDIT: Alright, I'm a bit too eager and naive - I guess you'll PM me when you want to Brawl cross-country, GFLPraxis?

20. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sorry bud, we'll have to do it another time :( I'm at work right now. Doubt I can play tonight.

21. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

No worries! Gotta put food on the table, after all.

I have waaaay too much free time these days, so just PM me whenever you want to give this a try. Thanks.

22. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

That's funny, I consider using glitches as "cheap". ;)

That always bugs me about playing online. Sure we all have access to the same "glitch", but I don't think it's fair when someone utilizes it to win.

Just one of many reasons why I hate playing online or in tournaments.

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Snakedashing just causes you to slide a long distance while using the upsmash. It's hardly gamebreaking, but can be used to good effect by a good player.

It's never bothered me. I just jump over it, hover, and Down-air with Peach- it pulls them right out of it, which tends to shock the more inexperienced players who think of it as infallible since it is rather hard to stop (Snake bowls over anyone in his path, lol, so most people just get out of the way).

There are very few actual glitches in Brawl. There's the wavejump, which is virtually useless. I THINK the Snakedash is a glitch rather than being in the game deliberately, but I can't understand why it actually works. There must be some frame at a certain moment in the running attack animation where the game treats it as a run instead of an attack and lets you upsmash during it.

You attack and upsmash at almost the same time at a certain interval. Usually requires you use the C-stick.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BiaJfgSmCSQ

If that's why you don't play in tournaments, you're really missing out. Brawl really has none of the exploits Melee had that made it impossible for newbies to keep up. The "Advance Techniques" are just that- people find things that the developers might have overlooked, that aren't really glitches but not taken into account. For example, Lucario can jab twice and then forward-B instead of his third jab for far more damage and it works almost every time. Free extra damage. Or Dedede can grab and throw down and run forward and grab the opponent again because the devs didn't make the throw go far enough. And most characters don't even have these kinds of things.

Advance Techniques with Peach, for example, are mostly combos. Peach's down-air sends opponents up, but barely, so at low % you can down-air them multiple times and then up-air them. I figured all of these out on my own. The only real "glitch" that has been discovered is that if you pull a turnip out right as you run into a ledge it removes the turnip pull animation and you get the turnip about 1/3rd of a second faster. :p

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I still have not bought my copy. :p

But I bought Guilty GearXX last Friday. :D

<]=)

25. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Good to see some people are having fun with Brawl! :)

I've taken a liking to Ike as my main character so far. And King Dedede is just hillarious... I remember accidentally discovering how he could eat Snake's grenades (and most other explosives); you can tell the developers had fun putting that in.

Tonight I actually played Melee for the first time since Brawl came out... just to see what it was like after not playing it for a while. It was fun to wavedash again, and to play as happy, carefree Luigi (as opposed to the hesitant, wimpy Luigi we find in Brawl ;)).