super-strong metal adhesive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedroconejo, Aug 13, 2009.

1. pedroconejo macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a brand/type of super-adhesive metal-to-metal double-stick tape?

I have a very slight warp to the bottom pan of my MBP. So slight as to be unnoticeable save for one rather obvious result: the part that goes over the top of the optical drive slot has come un-glued/fastened/riveted to the frame behind.

I want to secure it back against the frame and tape seems the best option. The pressure on the flange (part over the slot) is not great - it can easily be pressed in and will hold for a second or two - but will not hold with just regular double stick. Superglue has not worked either.

Suggestions? What does Apple (et al) use themselves?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Apple uses these things called "replacements" or "repairs". :rolleyes:

I really don't think you can tape or glue metal effectively while bent. You will have to bend it back into shape first.

3. pedroconejo thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I have not been able to bend it back. I would have to remove part of the interior frame which has, up til this point, proven futile - I need a Torx5 or Torx4 bit to remove this one screw - the only T4/T5 screw in the entire machine I think as all others I've ever come across are T6 & T8 - but have as yet not been able to find one at any computer or hardware supply stores.

So the search for high-tensile strength tape instead...

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Check out Fast-Steel, or an equivalent. Its an epoxy stick, they have it for aluminum too. Its super strong and has almost endless uses. And its not like crappy JB Weld, its wayyy stronger.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

T4 or T5 are common - Google for them.

Gluing / taping the case top over the optical drive is one of the poorest ideas I have heard of - I'd leave well enough alone.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

JB Weld? Actually 3M auto tape. Nearly weather proof.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they can be founda t any hardware store, or conveniently here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TOOLKIT11/

have all the tools needed to open up a macbook/macbook pro of any gen.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Never heard of JB Weld? Im saying not to use that. O, and lol at the 3M auto tape, ive never had any luck with that stuff.

9. pedroconejo thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I can find the torx wrenches online easily enough. It's in the brick & mortar stores that I have as yet been unsuccessful. I can obviously order them, but... meh!

Whether I can bend it back or not, I would still want to use tape anyway to make sure it is held fast against the frame. It would not block the drive slot and would not be seen, which is the whole point. As it is now, I could personally care less about appearances - it is perfectly functional. The only reason for doing it is so that the good folks at Apple & other AppleCare techs can stop raising their eyebrows when I bring it in for unrelated fixes.

10. pedroconejo thread starter macrumors newbie

Erm, thanks for the thought, but no, they can not be found at just any hardware store, at least not the ones near me. The set provided in that link has only T6 & T7, both of which are common to most Torx kits and are the main sizes in most computers, including the MBP. However, the frame of the MBP does indeed contain T4 and/or T5 screws which are much less common.

Anyway, I broke down and ordered the bits online. Also ordered a sample of permanent & semi-permanent bonding tape. Went with a custom manufacturer instead of JB Weld or 3M. Will report back once I've tried it. Epoxies like Fast-Steel and Grip-Tight are great for general use but make me very uneasy when it gets near computers. I'll stick to the tape for now.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Home Depot sells a ~$5 set with Torx 5-15 bits and one handle.

If you have the old multibody MBP and the optical drive slot is bent so that it is narrower than usual (bent down not bent out), you might be able to snap it back into place. There are plastic clips there that you might have unclipped when you took the computer apart, and you need to snap them back. I fixed mine by jamming paper in the slot to hold it open and pressing on the edge of the top case (palm rest) just above it.

12. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

You know what this means? Unibody. Anyways, I really don't think that sticking a glob of metal adhesive inside a $2000+ computer, and one that is also Apple, is a very good idea. However, assuming that you wanted to go ahead with it, I don't think that tape would work. The hot air and temps blowing out of the computer will destroy the sticking power of the tape... I just think that you should just take the bottom plate to any work shop (wrapped in plastic) and use a small flat mallet to bend the little bump back into shape... just a little push should do it, and the plastic wrapping should prevent scratches.