Super stuck on which External display to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JeffiJers, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Made a similar thread in peripherals ...

Have a early 13 15R macbook.

options
    #1. Used, 2month old thunderbolt display for 600$ (time sensitive)
    #2. New Dell 27" 1440p from bestbuy 590+ tax
    #3 Wait for new apple display that may not even work with my macbook.

External HDD & DAC will be hooked up to display via usb/tbolt hub. I don't use large files on the reg but will stink having usb2 in 2014.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would have to recommend the TB display because it is basically a docking station that gives you firewire, USB2 (or possibly even USB3), and of course TB pass through. If you got the DELL, I would think you would only get TB passthrough.

As for a new Apple display, it's almost always better to wait as even Apple gear tends to either drop slightly in price or offer more features. I seriously doubt Apple's next TB display wouldn't work with an rMBP released this year (unless they wait 3 years to refresh it)! With a 15" rMBP, why is it you are looking for an external display in the first place? There are apps that can allow you to switch your existing Retina display to crazy high resolution (reading glasses required :p ).

3. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, the current TB display is usb2. Which... is fine however old tech.

The next TB display will more then likely be a 4k to match the nMP. My Early 2013 15R only has thunderbolt1/DP1.1 where as this doesn't handle DP1.2 (uHD, 4k).

Everything in this thread is just speculation as no one knows... I just don't want to pass up on this deal for the lightly used TB @600$ as it is the lowest I have seen.

Just asking what Macrumors would do.

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Will you ever need to connect the monitor to a non-TB computer? If yes, go for the Dell. Otherwise, I like my Cinema Display pretty well and chose that specifically so I could connect my Hackintosh to it as well as my rMBP. I do miss the dock options, but I love being able to use it with any other computer.

If you like Apple stuff, get the used TB. You will always be able to unload it for the same money or more in a few months if the TB2 Display finally arrives.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The Dell display doesn't even have Firewire, Magsafe, ethernet, webcam, or speakers. (No USB 3 either)

I would buy the TB with warranty at $600 easily.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

The TB for $600 is good. If you don't like it you can sell it for $550 in a millisecond and be out at most $50.

7. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

As of right now, no I would not Need to however there is a possibility of connecting to a windows computer. I like the cinema display as well however for the age and price used it doesn't seem like a smart buy. I would dell over the cinema.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

Dell does have usb 3.0.

It appears that general opinion so far is the Thunderbolt display. :apple:

8. Giuly, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The Dell UltraSharp U2713HM does have a built-in USB 3.0 hub. $20 also get you a Dell AX510 speaker bar, another $10 an USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, if you care for either.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 on the TB display. If it was just a monitor, I would agree with others it is not worth it. But with the built in webcam and speakers and all in one TYB connection it is a nice setup. As far as USB, you will still have your Macbook sitting right there next to the TB display, so you could always plug a USB3 drive or whatever into it. That is what I do when I need to attached a drive to my MBA with the TBD.

10. Consultant, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. mtmac macrumors regular

Most likely a new TB display will arrive within a few weeks along with the MacPro. It won't be a 4k display, but it may have higher resolution than the current model, which your computer would still be able to drive. Apple specifically stated that the MacPro's will be able to drive several 3rd party 4k displays. Apple doesn't do much monitor business as it is, and it would shock me for them to compete in an even much much smaller, much more expensive market. Apple will down the road compete in the 4k market, but when the prices come down to greatly expand that market.

Expect it to be the form factor of the new iMacs
    Lower screen glare
    USB 3.0
    2 TB2 ports (backwards compatible)
    lack of Firewire 800 (but a dongle will get you there)
    audio port
    dual microphones for enhanced FaceTime calls
    MagSafe 2
    potentially a graphics card (hopefully replaceable)

So far I think your best bet is a new TBD, or a current TBD that you return when a new one comes out. Once the TBD 2 come out, you will have a choice. Either go for a great monitor in the old one at a reduced price, or go for a better monitor/hub in the new one. Why would you want a hub with slower ports than you already have on your laptop?

12. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah you just through a wrench in the gears! I was ready to go pick up the used(like new) TB display.

Furthermore, I have a set of Audioengine A5+'s and USB DAC that will be connected to the display. So, display doesn't need sound. Have extra power sources as well to go with macbook.

Have.. Apple wireless keyboard/trackpad/mouse.

Seems like the current TB display still appears to be the best buy. + It is gorgeous.

Keep the input coming, have to decide by late tonight!

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you click on "See Dell", it tells you that is has four USB 3.0 ports.

14. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Don't forget about adjustments, which might be important to you.

The Dell has height adjustment. The Apple monitor does not.

15. rovitotv macrumors member

I am in same situation….

I have a early 13 15" Retina for my work computer with the Apple Thunderbolt display and it is really nice. At home I have a crappy LG 23" 1920 x 1080 and I am thinking about buying a new display. My problem is I like to keep my work separate from my home stuff so I actually have a 2012 13" Mac Book Pro on my desk too and really need the ability to switch back and forth between the computers. Lots of competition out there in the monitor domain, I actually had to make a spreadsheet to keep it straight. Here are some interesting buys:

-NewEgg has a Dell 29" 2560 x 1080 for $399.99 with USB 3.0
    -Macworld called the mono price 27" 2560 x 1440 @ $416.23 amazon a "affordable alternative to Thunderbolt Display"
    -Then the 27" Dell looks pretty good

So I am torn I am leaning towards the 29" Dell because my desk has a low ceiling over it and it might fit better. It is difficult to justify a Thunderbolt Display because it is not a good value in its current configuration.

16. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

glad im not the only one having such an issue! But sorry to hear your dilemma.

I really just have no clue what to buy Still. Considering just giving up on an external for now as it was only a luxury.

That mono-price looks sharp!

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The 29" 2560 x 1080 does not have the same high density as the 27" 1440p ones.

18. buysp macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Just purchased a late 2013 15" rMBP and looking to dock it with the current Thunderbolt Display offering but I'm of the opinion now that I might hold off and hopefully pick it up on the cheap once Apple finally release a new model!

19. JeffiJers, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Picked up a Brand new TB display of of CL for a good deal, guy who purchased it new from his apple at the end of october just missed the return period. He plugged it in to make sure it worked then packaged it back up.. Shocked, when i turned it on still had the new apple smell to it.

Was on the fence between Dell 27" for usb 3.0 or the new TB display.

I will say I am completely 100% happy with my purchase. While using a 15R daily I am not super impressed by the 27" 1440P, So if apple were to keep that resolution for the revised TB I would not be purchasing that @ 1k$

It is beautiful compared to the Dell and I can live with the usb2.0 as I will only be connecting a DAC to it. For the times I need fast usb3.0 for my external I will connect it directly to the macbook on my desk.

Bonus: Still has 11 months of apple care and I can buy more. :)

20. mtmac macrumors regular

With the price of 4k displays coming down, I now think there will be two new iMac-styled 27" TBDs. A 4k TB2 display, and a current resolution TB1 display. The big feature they've been touting on the Pro is 4K, and it would only make sense for them to show it off with a new display, possibly color matched to the Pro. Most TB macs can't drive that, so a replacement for the TBD is needed as well. They offered both a 27" cinema display and TBD, so it is likely they would offer two versions now. Though it's only speculation, their TBD is severely outdated and most sources agree that we'll likely see one next week along with the Pro.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I now have this mental image of you standing there sniffing your monitor. :D

Sounds like you snagged a good deal.

22. JeffiJers thread starter macrumors 6502a

hahaha :cool: