Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
Anyone else feel the claims of the iPhone 4 being "incredibly" thin are pretty exagerated?

Don't get me wrong, great phone, great os, great camera, nice feel, but....

when I held the iPhone 4 and the 3gs at the same time, there was no noticible difference to me in thinness or weight? not a big deal really but I'm thinking SJ made a big deal about nothing really. But that's why he's a billionaire salesman right? :p

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Seems pretty thin to me compared to my 3G. I will compare it against other peoples smart phones at work today. In terms of weight I say its about the same.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
Seems pretty thin to me compared to my 3G. I will compare it against other peoples smart phones at work today. In terms of weight I say its about the same.

I don't have the 3g anymore, but comparing it to the 3gs seems about the same to me and only slightly thinner than my iPhone 2g, by my perspective

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Anyone else feel the claims of the iPhone 4 being "incredibly" thin are pretty exagerated?

when I held the iPhone 4 and the 3gs at the same time, there was no noticible difference to me in thinness or weight? not a big deal really but I'm thinking SJ made a big deal about nothing really. But that's why he's a billionaire salesman right? :p

how thin would you like it? looking at the internals, it looks like everything has been miniaturised as far as humanly possible and it's packed like sardines.

I think it's amazing how much functionality they managed to engineer into a 9.3mm thin device.

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Can you name a thinner smartphone ? Also, Apple stated that it was about 25% thinner than the 3G, and that only means a few millimeters. Since the 3GS is curved, you have to lay both phones on a table, and then measure the highest points on both phones.

As for weight, it has already been noted that the iPhone 4 is a little heavier than the iPhone 3

PG-Monkey

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Can you name a thinner smartphone ? Also, Apple stated that it was about 25% thinner than the 3G, and that only means a few millimeters. Since the 3GS is curved, you have to lay both phones on a table, and then measure the highest points on both phones.

As for weight, it has already been noted that the iPhone 4 is a little heavier than the iPhone 3

Only phone I can think of off the top of my head that is / was thinner are them crap razrs and there not smart phones or smart to look at either.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
how thin would you like it? looking at the internals, it looks like everything has been miniaturised as far as humanly possible and it's packed like sardines.

I think it's amazing how much functionality they managed to engineer into a 9.3mm thin device.

you guys are missing the point. i'm not saying I WANT or NEED it to be thin. I'm saying SJ exercised hyperbole when he was describing how "incredibly thin" the phone was. just an observation really. Not a deal breaker for me

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
you guys are missing the point. i'm not saying I WANT or NEED it to be thin. I'm saying SJ exercised hyperbole when he was describing how "incredibly thin" the phone was. just an observation really. Not a deal breaker for me

It is incredible. It has more/bigger components than the previous model and yet got smaller. That fits the definition of incrediblebpretty darn well.

mac'inmama

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
Southeast USA
My former phone (just replaced) is the 3G. No, the 4 doesn't feel much slimmer or lighter or anything AND is actually more awkward in my hand because there's no curve. I'm hoping to find another rubberized case that will add some curve in the back.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007

It is incredible. It has more/bigger components than the previous model and yet got smaller. That fits the definition of incrediblebpretty darn well.

The only phone thinner I think is the HTC Incredible and that is only by .1

iPhone 4 Technical Specifications
Size and weight1

Height:
4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width:
2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth:
0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
Weight:
4.8 ounces (137 grams)
------------------------------
HTC Droid Incredible
CPU Speed Qualcomm® QSD8650, 1GHz Snapdragon™
Platform Android™ 2.1 (Éclair) with HTC Sense™
Memory Flash 8GB + 512MB/RAM 512MB
Dimensions (LxWxT) 4.63 x 2.30 x 0.47 inches (117.5 x 58.5 x 11.9 mm)
Weight 4.6 ounces (130 grams) with battery

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007

Size and weight1

Height:
4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width:
2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth:
0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
Weight:
4.8 ounces (137 grams)
HTC Droid Incredible

you are referring to width not depth. the iphone 4 is still 2.6 mm thinner according to your numbers.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
It's def much thinner. I love it. I mean 24% thinner is 24% thinner. The numbers are there.

kaputsport

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Carlisle, PA

Size and weight1

Height:
4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width:
2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth:
0.37 inch (9.3 mm)
Weight:
4.8 ounces (137 grams)
HTC Droid Incredible

Top to bottom:

Iphone: 4.5 inches Droid: 4.63 Winner: iPhone

Side to side:

iPhone: 2.31 inches Droid: 2.30 Winner: Droid by .01 inches

Thickness:

iPhone: 0.37 inches Droid: 0.47 Winner: iPhone by .1 inches

Weight: iPhone: 4.8oz Droid: 4.6oz Winner Droid

aequitas1234

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Definitely.

When I set it next to my Nexus One, it's just a hair thinner. I do like how it's completely flat though with no curves around the back.

aequitas1234

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2010
Top to bottom:

Side to side:

Thickness:

Do you really think the "winner" should be the smallest phone, or just the thinnest? Thinnest is a relevant characteristic, but to say the iPhone "wins" against a something like a Droid or EVO because it has a smaller height and weight it a little absurd. The screen is smaller on the iPhone.

Bu how thin it is is definitely relevant. Thinner is usually better.

Wudman

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
It is a lot thinner than the 3GS... After putting them both side by side on a table, the iPhone 4 stops under the chrome bezel of the 3GS...

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
you are referring to width not depth. the iphone 4 is still 2.6 mm thinner according to your numbers.

Top to bottom:

Side to side:

Thickness:

Yes - that is correct - I screwed that one up - I was thinking smaller not thinner (even though the post had clearly stated thinner) and was trying to reference that .1 is not even worth mentioning - thank you two for pointing that out - sorry about that.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
Definitely.

When I set it next to my Nexus One, it's just a hair thinner. I do like how it's completely flat though with no curves around the back.

I also like this and I have to say, this version feels so much more solidly put together and with better materials than the 3g and 3gs. It's more reminiscent of the 2g but thinner and less slippery in the hand

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
They gave the actual dimensions of the phone . . .

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Yes - that is correct - I screwed that one up - I was thinking smaller not thinner (even though the post had clearly stated thinner) and was trying to reference that .1 is not even worth mentioning - thank you two for pointing that out - sorry about that.
On this scale, .1" is actually pretty significant.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
On this scale, .1" is actually pretty significant.

I guess opinions vary - I dont see it as significant to be honest in this case. If you were engineering and it had to be precisely X and was over or under by .1 then yes, but in the case of which phone is wider from side to side, I dont think that it would deter me from buying a phone based on size only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.