Superbowl ad 2011.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Androidpwns, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i just cant get excited about all these things. Ive used many of them and they just dont have the same smoothness in operation.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Okay, so the ad is a teaser for the real superbowl ad, but still.

It doesn't seem like they "get it". Apple's entire concept is based on providing a unified "package" to the end user. Whats under the hood doesn't so much matter as what you can DO with it. Look at Apple's ads -- generally not much about tech specs as about usage and user experience.

Anyone can throw a jumble of high spec components in a shiny package and trot it out. Making it easy to use for anyone's mother or grandmother? Not so many do that.

My guess -- it'll appeal to a certain segment of users but will fail to achieve mass adoption.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't believe I actually watched that thinking there was any value to it

Looked like it was put together by a 14 year old for a school project

4. jonhcox macrumors regular

The preview is underwhelming.

I'm impressed with the capabilities of the tablet, but like deeddawg said, it's the sum of the experience that counts and I just don't see that with the Xoom<yet>. In my mind I still see someone finger-swiping through multiple panels to access information. Why is that any easier than tapping the icon on the homescreen? Apple could really spice things up with dynamic icons. Given the horsepower that is presumed to appear- shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Another thing- this is spec'd to support 720p video capture, I thought it was 1080p.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was hoping for a 1984 big brother tie in, but perhaps that won't occur until the super bowl commercial.

FWIW, that commercial does have a point in a lot of ways.

The xoom 5MP camera, iPad2 rumored camera - crappy 1mp.

android does give the consumer more freedom, and options as well.

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

I prefer android myself. Flame away appleboys!

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No need to flame
    Life is about choices and we all make them
    Different tastes, different needs, different experiences

As long as I don't have to use Android, it matters not to me what choice you make

8. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I've had never used one until a friend showed me his yesterday to show me how "cool" it was. He was really excited about it. I used it for a few minutes and it just wasn't nearly as smooth and easy to use as mine. The more I see, the less impressed I am. Of course I had to tell him it was cool, but inside I was thinking "What a POS"!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I get the freedom and choice things for geeks. 95% of the population couldn't care less about that nor are they aware of it.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

95% of the population is going to choose what fits them the best, that might be the xoom, galaxy tab (1 or 2 as they're releasing a new one soon) or the iPad.

I like my iPad but I certainly can see why people opt for an xoom, galaxy or tab. Its less about choosing the android platform, and more about getting something that fits a need.

11. nep61 macrumors 6502

Well said... and yet it's funny how there are always SOOOO many people on this site who moan and groan about the specs that Apple DOESN'T include in their products...

Oh, there's no HDMI port !!
    Oh, why don't they support USB 3 ?
    What, no Blu Ray disc in my MBP?
    iPad 2 won't have an SD card Slot... DEAL BREAKER !!!
    ---

should I go on??

In the end, it's about what you do with the product they sell... There are other choices out there... I'm sure Dell or Toshiba would be happy to take your money !!

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I would venture to guess that the population of this site is NOT representative of the overall ipad ownership population. There's likely a heavy skew towards the "geek" and all that such entails.

The reality is that other companies bringing out competitive products is a GOOD thing for all of us in the end. It serves to make everyone innovate even more, and that pressure keeps putting new toys out there for us to covet. :D

13. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Let's see, without the moaning, the iPhone would still be:

- without third party apps
    - without multitasking
    - could not change wallpaper
    - could not copy & paste

should I go on????