Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP now out

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Kadin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

2. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I've only played through the first "episode" but I'm in complete awe. I dont want to throw around words loosely, but this game is nothing short of a masterpiece. It is truly captivating.

A few words about how to approach it though. You really owe it to yourself to only play it with headphones on, by yourself and away from any distractions. I would also avoid as many previews or videos of the "game" as you can.

3. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

4. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Secret of mana is also on sale for similar price. Cant decide which to get. Decisions decisions...

5. whiskeyred macrumors regular

Add this to the "Must-Have" apps, I really dig it.

6. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Watched the trailer and I don't get it - it looks like it's from 1980.

What's so good about it?

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Got me, I am confused as well.

I would love some games from the 80s, though Commander Keen would be sweet

8. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

Looks intriguing. Not sold quite yet, though, after watching a couple short gameplay videos. Can someone explain why it's worth $5 now instead of waiting for a price drop? Any similar games it's like so I can better understand why it's so good and why everyone is going nuts about it?

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I agree, judging from the graphics quality. This looks like it was made for colecovision.

10. whiskeyred macrumors regular

The graphics are a combined 8-Bit with a modern polish, at least to my eyes. To my understanding the current price-point will see numerous episodes added as we go. I too was skeptical, but found myself late for work this morning as time completely slipped away. Must play with headphones, I simply got lost just playing. When Touch Arcade posted their early reviews I said no way this can be anything great, but I find it to be exactly what I was looking for in an iPad game.

I really can;t do it justice in my words but this quote says it well

"It’s a mix of laid-back exploration, careful investigation & mysterious musical problem-solving occasionally punctuated by hard-hitting combat encounters. S:S&S EP is an unusual genre-bending effort with an emphasis on sound, music & audiovisual style that has been positioned as ‘a brave experiment in Input Output Cinema’.

S:S&S EP has been recently described as “… an unlikely mix of Zelda and art house cinema. The game is equal parts Robert E. Howard, Shigeru Miyamoto, Tim Schaefer, with some David Lynch thrown in for good measure — but there is more to S&S than these inspirations.”

It's an experience, strange and weirdly beautiful.

11. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I must admit looking at the screenshots it does look naff but I remember playing Another Word and the sequel / prequel (cant remember) on the old Amiga and it reminds me of this graphics wise.

Will check it out since its relatively low £ and great reviews in first day

12. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Just played the first little 15 minute portion. The game itself didn't blow me away yet. The music with the volume pumped up on my headphones did though.

I like the retro feel graphic style. I look forward to seeing what else this game offers.

14. vandal138 macrumors newbie

I think the style with the music for this game is great. The story is pretty interesting and is pretty good at sucking you into the enviroment. It has the feeling of the old Delphine games like Another World. Its a fun experience.

So far my only gripe with the game is the dialouge. The narritive is kind of strange to begin with, which is not really a problem. The way it is written though makes it difficult to lose yourself in, at least for me. It tries to be funny, but the jokes don't work at all. I feel removed from the enviroment when I come across them. Thats probably just me though.

In the end I would definetly reccomend this game for its unique gameplay and style. Although it may be short, I've only played it for 30 minutes so far and im %30 into the game. I sure hope there is more replay value in it once I beat it.

15. PWNkake macrumors member

This game is amazing. Completley mesmerized by it's polish and genius. Why can't more games be this compelling. Running away from the boss in the first session took me right back to fleeing from enemies in castlevania when I was a child. Something the "gears of war"s games can't convey with all their wonderful graphics.

Great game!

16. hb13 macrumors newbie

I didn't get it at first either, but S:S&S EP is definitely worth the $5, especially if you need a break from the Cut the Ropes and Angry Birds type games. I actually keep going back to the game in my head looking forward to the next time I can throw on some headphones and play this game.

Possibly the thing I'm looking forward to the most is that they plan on releasing the music through iTunes (and vinyl >?<) next month.

17. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

18. Stirolak26 macrumors member

Lol at the comments on that kotaku article.

"Esoteric" piece of hardware?

19. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

just because the game is purposely going for the 8bit look doesn't mean the graphics aren't good. its called style.

20. whiskeyred macrumors regular

If you are a fan of the game and Jim Guthrie's great music, don't forget it goes on sale today. Limited Edition vinyl with print (800 available or at least 799 now), or download versions.
    http://www.swordandsworcery.com/music/

21. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

Best game I ever stumbled upon. Had me at "hello", and downloaded the soundtrack two nights ago.

I'm currently at 75% but now I don't want it to end!:(

22. Skika macrumors 68030

One of the best games for the iPad! I reccommend taking your time with this game, its not a grab and play for the bus. Its a great experience,a bit reminds me of Shadow of the Collossus.

23. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

One of the best iPad games I've played, I have really been enjoying it.
    Stuff like this makes having the iPad so worth it!