SuperCal problems? (New MPB Display Calibration)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBHockey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

When I try to use SuperCal to calibrate my new display I'm encountering a really strange problem. Instead of being presented with the red grid pattern with the red square in the middle (where you gradually lower the brightness) I'm getting these two small red rectangles floating around my screen. Same thing with the other colors if I skip to them.

I have no idea what's going on here but I can't calibrate my display like this.

Here's the version I'm using:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8142/supercal

Does it work fine for others? I've used this program for years and never had a problem with it.

2. cyclical macrumors regular

Which version are you using (alpha or stable)?

EDIT: oops, never mind - you already stated the version :eek:

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Maybe it has something to do with rosetta. I elected not to install it when I installed Snow Leopard today to use as a reminder to me "hey, there's probably a newer program that does what you need than this one" kind of thing.

I know the old SuperCal was PPC but this newer one is a UB. Could there be parts of SuperCal that require Rosetta on Intel even though it's a UB? I'm really reaching here... :)

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

the site makes supercal sound better than hardware calibrators, but how does it actually fare against an xrite or something like that?

5. unclegit macrumors member

An Xrite will destroy Supercal on accuracy.

Supercal destroys an Xrite on price :D

If you are a color critical user invest in a hardware calibration tool - even a low end Huey is going to be better and more consistent than software that relies on your eye. You can pick up the entry level Pantone Huey for $50 - $60 if you shop around.

Spend the money, cry once and never worry about color again.