Supercomputer Simulation of the Universe

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
1,804
5
UK
http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrationsDocumentation/documentation/pressReleases/2005/pressRelease20050517/presselogin/

An international team of astrophysicists led by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics presents the worldwide largest simulation of the universe and an accurate theoretical model for the growth of galaxies and supermassive black holes

Movies and still pictures here:

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/press/

Scroll down to the bottom, the images would also make great wallpaper. :)
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
Watched this on Newsnight, they had to turn off their supercomputer to everyone apart from the team involved and it still took a month to crunch the numbers.
 

ZLurker

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
147
0
Sweden
MacSA said:
http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrationsDocumentation/documentation/pressReleases/2005/pressRelease20050517/presselogin/

An international team of astrophysicists led by researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics presents the worldwide largest simulation of the universe and an accurate theoretical model for the growth of galaxies and supermassive black holes

Movies and still pictures here:

http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/press/

Scroll down to the bottom, the images would also make great wallpaper. :)
Anyone seen what kind of computer/cluster they are using?
 

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
133
0
USA
combatcolin said:
Watched this on Newsnight, they had to turn off their supercomputer to everyone apart from the team involved and it still took a month to crunch the numbers.
And what answer did they get?

42.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p Seriously, though, that's some pretty intersting stuff.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,408
0
VA
AppleAce said:
And what answer did they get?

42.
Thought the same thing myself. Great stuff - and its amazing how organic it looks :D

But what are the Mpc/h and Gpc/h units? I'm guessing the Mpc and Gpc are mega and giga parsecs but I'm lost as to the "/h"

D
 

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
726
0
Mr. Anderson said:
Thought the same thing myself. Great stuff - and its amazing how organic it looks :D

But what are the Mpc/h and Gpc/h units? I'm guessing the Mpc and Gpc are mega and giga parsecs but I'm lost as to the "/h"

D
/h per hour perhaps a parsec is a distance

Parsec: A unit of astronomical length based on the distance from Earth at which stellar parallax is one second of arc and equal to 3.258 light-years, 3.086 × 1013 kilometers, or 1.918 × 1013 miles.

it makes sense to me
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,408
0
VA
barneygumble said:
/h per hour perhaps a parsec is a distance

Parsec: A unit of astronomical length based on the distance from Earth at which stellar parallax is one second of arc and equal to 3.258 light-years, 3.086 × 1013 kilometers, or 1.918 × 1013 miles.

it makes sense to me
that makes sense, but wow, that's some fast zooming :D

it was just the Mps and Gps that got me confused I guess.

D
 

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
726
0
Mr. Anderson said:
that makes sense, but wow, that's some fast zooming :D

it was just the Mps and Gps that got me confused I guess.

D

it is astonishingly quick, i wonder how quick that computer would be at Seti@home. It would pumpout units every 10 seconds if that.
 

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
1,250
2
NYC
it couldn't be per hour; how could anything travel a million or billion parsecs in an hour, when it takes light itself 3.258 years to travel a single parsec? That would be a ridiculous violation of relativity.

I think h is standing for Planck's constant, which carries either electron volts or or joules multiplied by time as its units, which makes sense, as the projected slices are density fields for matter distibution, so Mpc/h would give you a distance/energy*time.
 

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
726
0
tpjunkie said:
it couldn't be per hour; how could anything travel a million or billion parsecs in an hour, when it takes light itself 3.258 years to travel a single parsec? That would be a ridiculous violation of relativity.

I think h is standing for Planck's constant, which carries either electron volts or or joules multiplied by time as its units, which makes sense, as the projected slices are density fields for matter distibution, so Mpc/h would give you a distance/energy*time.
what would i know,i'm not an astrophysicist
 

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
795
0
A series of tubes
ZLurker said:
Anyone seen what kind of computer/cluster they are using?
I think they used this IBM setup. 4.2 teraflops.
--------------------------------

If you want to feel really insignificant, watch that "Slow flight" video. :eek:

By the way, was anyone able to download the 280MB poster on the page? It's been showing up as "Not Found" since this afternoon.
 

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
2,284
0
Northants, UK
combatcolin said:
Watched this on Newsnight, they had to turn off their supercomputer to everyone apart from the team involved and it still took a month to crunch the numbers.
They had a TB of RAM :eek: and even that was not enough as the OS took a chunk and the computer could not count a figures high enough, the lead programmer had to fudge the system to get it to do what the team wanted - while the program was running.

Somewhat scary if he messed up and crashed it!

Think it might have been a clustered 32bit affair, as a 64bit setup can count massive figures.
 

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
2,457
1,724
America's Third World
Upon reading the thread's title, I had high hopes someone had finally discovered proof that the universe is a computer simulation, running on a supercomputer from the future.

Drat! :(
 

Eclipse278

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
207
1
Upon reading the thread's title, I had high hopes someone had finally discovered proof that the universe is a computer simulation, running on a supercomputer from the future.

Drat! :(
Not yet, it's still only mathematically probable right now.
 

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
2,126
2,723
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Upon reading the thread's title, I had high hopes someone had finally discovered proof that the universe is a computer simulation, running on a supercomputer from the future.
I always assumed you guys were NPC's in a simulation I'm playing.;) Species human in the Milky Way section of the Eternal Sphere virtual world.