Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

namelessben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2003
Has anyone heard a rumor about a superdrive hack that allows you to turn a 2x into a 4x?....i know of one that would allow you to convert a 1x to a 2x,but my previous question is much more beneficial.

anyone, anyone....

josepho

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Surrey, England
namelessben said:
Has anyone heard a rumor about a superdrive hack that allows you to turn a 2x into a 4x?....i know of one that would allow you to convert a 1x to a 2x,but my previous question is much more beneficial.

anyone, anyone....

Would it really be more beneficial? 1->2 and 2->4 are both 100% increases, and as such the speed increase should be comparative (relative to the initial speed).

Anyways, unless the drives were made as the higher speeds then slowed down by Apple (somewhat like processors which can be overclocked) then I don't think it would be a great idea to push the drive to double the speed it was supposed to run at... kinda like someone pushing you to run 30mph. :)

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I read the 4x drive was an 825 as opposed to 815-6 in Sept. release of the PB. So I doubt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.