SuperDrive accepts disk and ejects them two seconds later...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulletman13, Aug 12, 2010.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey everyone,

I have never had any problems with this SuperDrive, until I installed Toast last week. I went to burn a disk, and it failed the burn; then after that any kind of disk I inserted into the drive would be ejected.

The drive doesn't even try to read it, nor does it try to spin up whatsoever... I put the disk in, it makes an 'accepting' noise, then less than two seconds later, it rejects it. I'm running 10.6.4, with HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N running AP12 firmware.

Like I said before, the disk drive never had trouble reading anything, but all of a sudden decided to reject every one under the sun.

Restarting in Windows doesn't effect it, nor does inserting a disk before the computer boots. Everything appears normal in diagnostics, but the drive is not even trying to read it.

I've opened up the drive and wiped the laser with alcohol, but alas, no fix.

Any ideas or help would be wildly appreciated; also I have reset the PRAM.

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Question... How old is your mac. The reason I asked (and the reason I found this thread) is that EVERY SINGLE mac laptop I have owned in the past decade (up to four now), the DVD drive has failed after about 2-3 years. I am dealing with the most recent failure currently. I rarely use the DVD drive, so it's not an issue of overuse, so it must be an issue of under-use!