SuperDrive been broken -- firmware question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by breakpvt, Feb 26, 2012.

1. breakpvt macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 (I think) 17" Macbook Pro, but the model identifier is MacBookPro5,1. On the EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs page (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237), there's no listing in that table that matches my computer... There's only a 15" Macbook Pro that corresponds with MacBookPro5,1. My Boot ROM Version and SMC Version both correspond with those provided alongside the 15" MacBookPro5,1.

Does this mean anything at all? And so that means there's no available firmware update for my SuperDrive... does anybody have any friggen clue as to how I can fix it? I really need it to work, obviously, it won't even read CDs properly, it's a real problem. In my Utilities folder there's a SuperDrive Update, however when I try running it I just get an error message saying, "There was a problem installing this update." This has been the case for as long as I can remember. (This Macbook was a hand-me-down from my uncle, as he's always upgrading to all the latest tech for his work.) I've had it for about 2 or 3 years now. If you happen to know anything that could help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thanks a lot.

2. Bear macrumors G3

A firmware update will not fix a broken piece of hardware. It sounds like your SuperDrive is broken.

Also, if your firmware matches the 5,1 15" MBP, then your system firmware is up to date.

3. Takashi macrumors regular

Probably cheaper to get an external USB dvd drive than to try to fix the super drive.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a 2008 MBP and my drive failed. It was making all kinds of noises. It was having trouble burning to disc. And couldn't read disc including the system disc. I've had mine for 2yrs. idk the history of this refurb though.

I had my super drive replaced and everything was back to normal. It took the Apple store 1hr to replace. After... I did get a Software update notice for the firmware but it would not take. So I left it alone. I'm guessing because its a different drive than the original.

I would go and install a new drive.