Superdrive botched repair :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GreyMatta, May 15, 2008.

1. GreyMatta macrumors regular

Just had my Superdrive replaced on my 6 week old MacBook Pro because it stopped reading DVD-R and DVD+R by an authorized repair centre.

Here is the first attempt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upon getting it back in this state I contacted Apple and the repair centre responsible. They said it is highly irregular and a simple 5 minute fix to put it right for me.

here is the second attempt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now the Superdrive wont eject discs because of the warped top section. I have to bend the case slightly to allow them to come out

I now have Apple collecting it tomorrow for repair by them I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

I just hope they can put it right.

Anybody else have similar results from authorized repairers or have I just been very unlucky ?

GreyMatta

2. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I actually did this trying to remove the top case off a MBP. The top case is very hard to get off sometimes and you have to pry around the edges to get it off. The lesson learned is to pry VERY, VERY lightly around the superdrive because there is nothing supporting the metal casing underneath that spot. It took me a while but I was able to get it back to where the drive worked fine but it always left a small gap like the one I see in your pictures. I would see if Apple can fix it this time and if not tell them they need to replace your bottom case on your MBP, that would fix it. Looks like the person doing the repair was a little to forceful trying to get the top case off.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it might be just that the snaps are not snapped in, put a disk in half way, and press down really really hard to try and snap them back into place, you'll hear some clicks and it should be better

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, I had to snap those clips back in before mine sat flush after a hd install. I had to use a hard flat surface to support the weight of the drive bay as I pushed down on the top case.

5. GreyMatta thread starter macrumors regular

just had it picked up by the courier :)

now the waiting game

GreyMatta

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Looks like the repair center doesn't know what they are doing.

Now is the fun of waiting. Twiddle your thumbs or do a super obsessive cleaning of your house.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you dont have to pry it off with a tool, etc. Just pull the top case up from near the LCD screen back towards you.

8. reservoir11 macrumors newbie

9. GreyMatta thread starter macrumors regular

I did read your thread

hope yours gets fixed as well mate :)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope they fix it well, though from personal experience it's not a easy install to replace the optical drive.

11. reservoir11 macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot bro.......I appreciate your concern.....:)

12. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I do have a pry tool but they aren't all they cracked up to be and it is much harder to do it without using that much force than it seems. that was the first one I ever did, I am better at it now and learned from my first mistakes. The crappy thing ones that it was a brand new 2.2 C2D just out of the box when I did it. Made me feel sick.