Superdrive dead - Reinstall OS X via remote disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SylentSpeed, May 2, 2010.

1. SylentSpeed macrumors newbie

I want to reinstall OS X by erasing the hard drive and performing a fresh install. However, I was sad to discover that the Superdrive will not accept CDs/DVDs anymore (it just spits them back out).

I've read this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=700466
    My situation is nearly identical to that person's.
    I have explored using the optical drive in my Windows PC and I can use the PC to read discs for me. However, the PC can only read the Boot Camp portion of the install disc.
    So I downloaded Windows installer for the 'Remote Install Mac OS X' software and installed that.

Here's when the things went wrong.
    [​IMG]
    After running the 'Remote Install Mac OS X' application on the PC, I followed through all the straightforward steps (including choosing which install disc and which network connection to use). Then I rebooted my Macbook and held down the alt/option key which led to a new screen. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From what I read in the instructions of the 'Remote Install...' application, an option to choose my network should have appeared under my start-up disk. But it didn't.

The only option that I was given was to select the start-up hard drive on the macbook and to resume normal bootup. I've been stuck on this ever since and I need further advice on what I should do.

Buying an external hard drive or replacing the superdrive are last resort options since I'd like to find a (free solution) to this problem. Any help?

2. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

Do you have another MAC ?

The easiest solution would be to connect it in target disk mode and split the disk into 2 partitions.

On one of them restore MAC OS installation disc. Then you can start from that partition and install the OS.

After it's done. you can just remove the partition and recover space.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

4. SylentSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help and advice. Unfortunately, I have only one Macbook (white) which is what I need the os to be reinstalled on. I guess the easiest solution is to buy an external optical drive and do the reinstall from there. The superdrive's condition has worsed and it won't even register a disc before ejecting after I insert it.