Superdrive...does it work through hubs/on other systems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wolfpup, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Another dumb question! I'd never thought to question this, but I've heard someone claim the Superdrive won't work through a powered USB hub or on other computers-not even a Macbook Pro?

Is that true? Only the Air/Mini, and only connected directly?

I would regularly have keyboard, mouse, Ethernet, Superdrive, 1-2 iPods, and 1-2 hard drives connected to my Air, so you can see my need for hubs :-D

I suppose I would just buy a USB Blu Ray drive...but from my experience, USB optical drives are super flaky, and I'm hoping Apple's is actually reliable...I hope.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, that's correct. It works only with Macs that don't have internal optical drives. It requires slightly more power than a typical USB device, and only those Macs deliver the right amount of power and have the proper driver support.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Yikes! Not even powered hubs? Well, thanks :(

Guess that means one of the two ports ends up as a dedicated DVD connection, while the other handles...uh...up to 7 other devices! :D

Of course theoretically Blu Ray/DVD + Ethernet, etc. could go on the Thunderbolt connection, but...not yet anyway.