SuperDrive Ejection Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luftwaffles, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Something very strange has been happening with my 2.33Ghz C2D 15" Macbook Pro. The superdrive will function great when it comes to inserting/reading/burning discs, but when I try to eject the disk it will fail. Sometimes I'll need to hit the eject button 3 times to get it to spit out the disk, and when it does, it rockets the disk out of the drive like it was jammed. The discs come out fine, with no damage whatsoever.

I've been hesitant to send it into Apple for the last 3 months since I need the laptop for school, and waiting 2 weeks for it to return from the nearest repair depot just isn't an option. However, with Christmas break just around the corner, I'll have enough time to allow them to remedy the problem and will take it to a Genius to have it checked out. (AppleCare is a lifesaver!)

Has anyone had these problems with their MBP? And if so, is there a temporary fix that you've tried that works?

2. Luftwaffles thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

Upon further inspection, it appears that the disc is contacting the top of the drive bay just enough for it to stop dead in its tracks. Definitely something Apple will need to fix, as I don't want to void my warranty.

3. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

yeah take it to applecare they should fix it.

4. Luftwaffles thread starter macrumors regular

One thing I am curious about if I do take the laptop in is...

How long would it take them to fix it? The left fan is dead, reporting 0RPM and leaving that side of the laptop very hot. Granted, it doesn't seem like that hard of a fix, but knowing most companies, a laptop can easily disappear for 3-4 weeks for a seemingly minor repair.

I'd like some input - how fast has AppleCare been able to turn your laptop around, from drop-off to pick-up?

5. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

i send my macbook pro for a keyboard replacement it took about 4-5 days to have it in my possession again.

It really depends on what the problem is, if the parts are available ect ect.

In most cases, when Apple fixes the computer the same day they recieve it. Really the only thing taking up the time is the shipment to and from Apple.