Superdrive Enclosure Where to buy in the UK.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankydan100, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Hi im going to be replacing my superdrive as ive just purchased an optibay. My only question is where can I buy an enclosure for the superdrive in the UK as ive searched high and low.

If not is it possible to just buy a cable to connect to my MBP and leave it bare?

2. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

4. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Yeah just seems pointless buying one when ive already got one though, surely u can just buy a cable for it to plug it into the USB right?

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i got mine from ebay a few months back from seller nimitz** (formerly known as smk312) - absolutely no probs whatsoever - it not the prettiest drive but £10 (incl shipping) instead of £50-60 for an external - there is no contest imo!
    this is the one i brought

MCE-optibay offer a free superdrive enclosure with their hdd caddy - im pretty sure i e-mailed them asking if they sell the drive seperately which they do or maybe it was maxupgrades - email customer services at both websites

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    you would need to feed power to the cable to - so a sata- to usb adapter like the ones on ebay or amazon may work if you mod them a little so that the sata lead and power lead both connect onto the superdrive!

I would just look for a sata to sata 9.5mm optical drive enclosure on ebay usa - as the uk site sucks! Unless you have an older model with a PATA optical drive connection

7. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100