Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

what would you do?

• Let Apple replace it, possibly with a refurb.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Return it and buy locally.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Galley

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Two weeks ago I purchased a 24" iMac from Amazon.com because it saved me $214 versus buying it locally. From day one I have had problems with the SuperDrive reading discs. Apple has offered to replace it. The dude told me the replacement iMac would be removed from the box and thoroughly inspected before it was shipped to me. I'm assuming this means I will get a refurb. I would be disappointed if I get one in a plain white box (even if it's in perfect condition).
I also noticed a small one-inch scratch on the screen a few days ago. Would you let Apple replace it, or return it to Amazon, and buy one locally (so it could be serviced locally), and pay more. We now have an Apple Store @ Best Buy, and they will be offering in-store service soon. :confused:

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
My suggestion is to let Apple replace it (even if it is a 'refurb' replacement). I intentionally bought a Apple Store iMac 20" refurb. It came in a plain brown outer box. But the inner box was the retail white display box. The original seal on the inner box had been broken and new seal placed over it. I don't know if that would be true in every case. I have never had a bad experience with Apple Store 'refurb' purchases (iMac, iPods, Airport Express).

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
What they meant is they'd open up a brand new box, make sure everything works, then close it and send it to you.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the info. Amazon's $100 rebate states that once redeemed, the computer cannot be returned. Apple is going to contact me on Monday to arrange the replacement. It's gonna suck to be without a computer for several days, but I can use my iPhone to stay "connected". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.