Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
i bought a power mac g4 a few years ago. works great but i noticed that i really have to give the superdrive a good push to close. it opens the tray easy enough but it seems that it shouldn't take as much force as it does to close. is there an adjustment on it for the sensitivity of the tray closing.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
i bought a power mac g4 a few years ago. works great but i noticed that i really have to give the superdrive a good push to close. it opens the tray easy enough but it seems that it shouldn't take as much force as it does to close. is there an adjustment on it for the sensitivity of the tray closing.

Why are you pushing the drive at all? In the last Tiger update, apple decreased the sensitivity of the eject button, so you need to hold it down a bit longer to open and close the drive. Silly change IMHO, but there you have it. Otherwise, I might recommend buying a new drive - they're pretty cheap from New Egg.

hotrod351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Mohave Valley Arizona
when i load a disk i push the button to open and then push it to load, but it takes a bit of force to get it to close. for itunes i can use the eject symbol to open and close the drive. just wondered if after i manually open the drive if there was some way to close it from the desktop without opening itunes or another program.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
when i load a disk i push the button to open and then push it to load, but it takes a bit of force to get it to close. for itunes i can use the eject symbol to open and close the drive. just wondered if after i manually open the drive if there was some way to close it from the desktop without opening itunes or another program.

on your keyboard at the top right corner, next to the volume controls is an open/close button... that's what you want, I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.