Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey, I was recently given a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5.

I've done the 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM and 1TB HD in the optical drive trick to max it out - and am very happy.

Of course, I've picked up a cheap caddy for the Superdrive.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. And it looks like this is a deliberate disability Apple introduced some time ago. Quite why, I don't understand.. it seems randomly crippling pieces of customers' hardware from Cupertino is a hobby for Apple employees.

I have disabled System Integrity Protection (rootless) and run this guide, to edit the hex code.

It still doesn't work.

Although worth noting, I don't have any error messages; the drive simply refuses to appear.

It spins up, so is clearly receiving power, but simply never appears on my machine.

I'm really surprised more people (including in the Amazon reviews for the caddy) haven't discussed this challenge.

I'm running OS Sierra, all the latest updates.

Any ideas/suggestions?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hey, I was recently given a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5.

I've done the 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM and 1TB HD in the optical drive trick to max it out - and am very happy.

Of course, I've picked up a cheap caddy for the Superdrive.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. And it looks like this is a deliberate disability Apple introduced some time ago. Quite why, I don't understand.. it seems randomly crippling pieces of customers' hardware from Cupertino is a hobby for Apple employees.

I have disabled System Integrity Protection (rootless) and run this guide, to edit the hex code.

It still doesn't work.

Although worth noting, I don't have any error messages; the drive simply refuses to appear.

It spins up, so is clearly receiving power, but simply never appears on my machine.

I'm really surprised more people (including in the Amazon reviews for the caddy) haven't discussed this challenge.

I'm running OS Sierra, all the latest updates.

Any ideas/suggestions?
I would be very careful using a code editing guide from 2011 to poke around in 2016's Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.