Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I am having an issue where the superdrive in my BRAND NEW mac pro isn't working correctly. It doesn't read DVD's consistently, System profiler hangs when you click on disc burning and after that the drive does not respond to eject commands.
When you do get the tray to open, insert a DVD that is a known good disc, it will "mount" on the desktop then when you click on it, it hangs trying to read the disc. When you right click and select eject, the icon just goes away and the disc does not eject. A restart at least allows me to eject the disc.
Resetting SMC has no effect on the drives behaviour.

Can anybody help me? Or suggest a good aftermarket DVD drive?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Brand new MacPro? My suggestion is not to repair or replace yourself, it's to take the thing back. If the machine is not in good working order and is under warranty it should be repaired or replaced by Apple.

To me, it sounds like it is in need of replacement.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Is it still under warranty? If so, before trying anything else, have you called Apple or your retailer?

Edit: Beaten by teh Jess. <3. :)

Yep, less than 24 hours old. Problem is I really don't want to make a 3 hour round trip to fix a $40 part. OWC is showing DVD drives that work and was wondering if anyone had experience with them.
And once the registration/applecare agreements are complete I will call apple support about a replacement. But I won't drive 3 hours just to fix the DVD, a replacement drive is all I want and for $40 bucks I can do that myself and save a lot of time and gas.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Follow up

Called Apple and got into the "Express lane". After some testing and configuration changes associated with the DVD drive, they are sending me a new drive to install. What's interesting is that they don't want the old drive back in the replacement drives box, they want me to send it to a different place and are sending me a different box to ship it in. They were very specific about that.
So hopefully all well that ends well. I will try and remember to update this thread when the replacement comes in.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
New drive received this morning and installed, with no issues. It is a model GH61n vice a GH41n that was OEM.
:apple:Did good!!!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.