SuperDrive Issues MP8800

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by exspes, Feb 14, 2008.

1. exspes macrumors member

Well, just got my shiny new mac today. I'm ecstatic, as you can imagine. It's an amazing machine, very snappy, I'm happy.

Except the optical drive is being weird. When I insert some types of burned media (Sony, TDK) it makes horrible scraping noises (I think I even smelled something bad too) and doesn't read the disc. TDK and Sony are good brands. They work on everything else I've ever tried. So, I'm guessing this isn't normal?

I tried calling AppleCare but what do you know, they're 6am to 6pm, which is great. So while I wait I wanted to ask - is this going to be an easy "they give me a new drive and I put it in" type of deal, or am I going to have to be cutting some red tape? And can I do this at the apple store?

Or, you know - if anyone knows some weird fixable source of this problem, I'd love to know.

2. zdobson macrumors 6502

I have a new MP, too and I had some issues with TDK discs. I don't remember what brand I used before TDK (Memorex maybe), but I had no problems. I bought some TDK discs and it let me burn 2 out of the 6 or 7 I tried. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the two that were successful contained .jpgs, while the ones that failed I was burning all RAW images. Also, the successful burns were not consecutive, so I know the drive didn't fail. Must be something with those discs. Of course I bought them at CompUSA during their going-out-of-business sale, so I can't get my money back, but oh well, they were cheap. Oh, and I don't recall hearing any strange noises when the burns failed, so I don't know if our problems are related or not. Try some different discs, I suppose.