Superdrive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentg33, Jan 11, 2010.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have a 2 1/2 year old MBP running SL. I recently have been having issues with the dvd drive. I have been trying to convert avi files to dvd. I have tried two different avi files and two different applications (idvd and burn) They do the conversion of the file, but when the disc is completed there seems to be files on the dvd but it can not play....sounds like the drive starts up...spins the disk...stops and repeats this till i eject....i get a beachball on the screen as well. Now i have tried known good DVDs and they play with no issues and games like the Sims 3 seem not to have an issue with playing in the drive. I was just trying to figure out if this is hardware related or software (apps or the files im trying to convert) before my Applecare runs out

thanks
    brent

2. Paul B macrumors 6502

It's the SuperDrive going bad. It's a well known problem. Get it replaced ASAP.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks...i have a 5:45 GBar appointment for tonight. Is this something they usually need to send my MBP away to do?

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Waiting at the apple store now while they replace the SuperDrive. Hope this fixes the issue. It was able to burn a data DVD during the appointment