Superdrive making weird noise at boot up...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hephaestus, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

I have a 2009 15" Macbook Unibody and for as long as I can remember the superdrive has been making a loud noise when I boot up the machine. Its similar to the noise when you insert a disk. I just figured this was the lens aligning and that it was normal. My brother however works at an Apple store and has a Unibody and his is deadly silent, he also said the laptops he had used at work make no such sound. He said as long as the drive functions then its nothing to worry about.

It doesn't happen at any other time, and the drive does indeed function perfectly fine. It just bugs me when I turn my laptop on and hear a loud freaky noise. Just wondering if anyone here has this and what they think of it?

2. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

That's what I've been wondering also. I bought my MBP 13" on 3/21 and it's been making a noise like when you insert a disc sound on boot up/power up

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is the Mac checking if any optical media is inside the drive. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

If you put the Mac to sleep instead of shutting it off, you will not hear that sound again. Just if you have to restart it.

Also MRoogle would have answered you your question as it comes up every two weeks or so.

4. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thats definitely true, 99% of the time I use sleep mode so I don't hear it but it still bugs me a little, especially when my brothers is deadly silent. Any idea why mine checks for optical media and his doesn't? I've looked around in the settings but couldn't find anything.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

All 4 of my macs have always done this when waking from sleep/booting up.

Relaxing you shall be :).

6. Hephaestus thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thats good to know, thanks for the responses.

7. dennis.se macrumors newbie

this is extremely annoying. my superdrive hasn't been working for about two years, and I just got it fixed, and I almost wish I hadn't. The damn thing makes that annoying sound every time I bring it back from sleep or boot up (it did this before it stopped working as well). I never use the superdrive. The only reason I got it fixed was to be able to install Windows using boot camp (damn computer can't do this using external drives i.e).

does anyone know how to stop the superdrive from "booting up" every time the computer starts or come back from sleep?

using 10.6.4 (macbook pro 2007 2.2ghz)

8. Snowbound macrumors regular

Mine made that noise for along time, but stopped after some update. Does anyone remember when that was? I thought it was supposed to eliminate that for MBPs...