SUperdrive no longer recognised. Desperate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redsquash, May 6, 2008.

1. redsquash macrumors member

My susperdive is no longer recognized by tiger 10.4 . ie no dvd icon appears on the desktop.
    Inserting the DVD, which works on other Macs,is ejected after about 20 seconds.
    I have also removed the Battery and pressed the start button for 5 seconds, as well as check preferences of the DVD, a Matshuta UJ-846.
    I think an update may have stuffed things up though I have not been too diligent about recoding updates.
    Sugestions? apart from buyiong a new drive for 70,000 yen and installation of 10,000 yen, or about $800 according to the apple store nearby.

2. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

3. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

yes

4. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Stupid question but...

have you tried more than one CD/DVD?

5. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I have tried several cd/dvd including those I have burnt on this drive.
    I am an experienced windows user but since my mac has never failed me I know little about the internals, however i have searched the internet and tried various options, none succesful.
    I have remove dthe battery etc

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

This happened to me last month. I'd put a CD/DVD in, it'd spin up 3 times, not mount and then eject, but it still worked with my purchased movies on DVD. I took it to the apple store and they said the laser gets dirty and can't read "lower quality discs" meaning any kind of burnable disc. It crossed my mind to try one of those drive cleaning disc but luckily it was still covered under apple care, so they gave me a new drive. Hope you get it worked out.

7. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

My superdrive did the same thing in iMac G5 and died 2 weeks later.....But you can get replacement from macsales.com for around 100$. Also Pioner slot drive fits perfectly and can be purchase online within 80$ range

8. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I intended to buy a superdrive for my powerbook G4 as the current drive is not working.I enquired at a shop which sold mac and does repairs on windows machines but hey said it was very difficult, and to take it to Apple repair centre.

I have never opened a computer but have read online the pictorial manuals about installing a superdrive.
    I am now not confident given the shoop response. ARE THEY BEING DRAMATIC OR COULD i EASLILY DAMAGE OTHER COMPONENTS AND REALLY STUFF UP?.
    i AM NOT A HANDS ON PERSON BUT TO SAVE $600 IN MY CASE, i WAS GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY

9. s e y t o n macrumors newbie

redsquash,

the same thing happened to me, i was in the middle of installing an update and my wireless internet cut out and now my macbook does not play dvds and the superdrive update says "no device found" upon starting the computer.

i really dont see how this could be a hardware issue, hence no need to go out and buy a new drive. there must be a way to "reinstall" the drivers (or whatever theyre called for macs)...

i have yet to find a solution, as this was a recent occurrence, please keep me posted if you make any progress, i will do the same.

10. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

AT least you got a message...................I got nothing , though checking system profiler the dvdv writer is detected by the system

Once I learn how to clean the lens of a dvd writer, after taking it apart I will tell you what the problem was.
    The cost of replacement is not so much of a problem apart from the $790 Apple japan want

Too bad a G4 and G5 are completly different .My research has led me to believe that the UJ846 superdurve is crap and a pioneer drive would be much better.
    I installed Leopard , but still the same problem.
    Hope that helps someone. .

11. mikesjo macrumors regular

I just took a can of compressed air and fired it into my superdrive of my mbp. It works again! *sigh of relief*.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's very difficult to change some internal parts of Powerbook g4. If you don't need portability, get an full size external burner.

Pro
    - cheaper
    - faster per price due to desktop mechanism
    - can use with other computers

Con
    - loud
    - big

You can also buy a slim external burner but more expensive.

13. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I replaced the drive .
    Quite nerve racking at one point only , the rest was easy but there was lots of concentration

14. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah i was the same when i had to change the superdrive in my powerbook. I was nervous dismantling it. I have never pulled a mac apart before. I am used to pulling apart acers and toshibas