superdrive not so super

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rhuarc3, Nov 17, 2014.

1. rhuarc3 macrumors member

Apr 27, 2011
    i need some help. i have a mid 2010 27" iMac with a superdrive issue. i had an issue where my 4 year old thought the drive would be a fun place to put a quarter so the drive was replaced about 2 years ago. now since ML update it just reads discs for a few seconds and spits them out. i don't use it often so it hasn't really been an issue but my wife needed to load a program for work and its on a disc, so i'm trying to fix the drive.

i've tried everything i can think of, short of replacing the drive for the 3rd time, (yeah 1st was a quarter then 2 discs at same time, the monster is trying to break it i think). Any suggestions?

i forgot to mention that i have updated to yosemite since. everything else is running fine.
  2. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Just grab a cheap external USB optical drive like this one.
  3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2008
    USA (Virginia)
    Unfortunately, Weaselboy probably has the best idea.

I doubt this would work, but what if you blow some canned "compressed air" (used for electronics dusting) in there, on the vague idea that dust/dirt is causing a problem? Like I said, it probably won't work but might be worth a try if you've got some handy.

For a movie DVD player that stopped working, I once tried a type of DVD "lens cleaner" disc (something like this, but not this particular one: at amazon), but it didn't help. So I don't really recommend that, either.

Otherwise I guess you'd have to remove the optical drive from your iMac.
  4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Feb 20, 2009
    I, too, recommend weaselboy's approach above.

For about $20, you can find an external USB drive that will do what you need it to do.

I'd also suggest looking for a "tray loading" type drive (pull out tray, put CD/DVD in, close tray) rather than a "slot loader". They're often more reliable.
  5. leventozler macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2009
    Opening the drive and wiping the lens always worked for me. Did you try a lens cleaner?

6. cynics macrumors G4

Jan 8, 2012
    I'd also vote external if that isn't out of the question. I picked up a Samsung SE506 Blu Ray burner for 69 bucks on Amazon a few weeks ago. Has worked flawlessly with no setup required. Reader only are surely significantly less expensive.
  7. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Dec 16, 2013
    Harwich, UK
    Weaselboy's suggestion is the way to go for a simple solution, otherwise replace the drive... again.

Whilst you're at it, let your kid know that Mr Superdrive isn't hungry anymore:)
  8. rhuarc3 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 27, 2011
    yeah he's learned. After a few weeks of no computer , he finally caught on.
  9. rhuarc3 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 27, 2011
    Ended up getting the Samsung external on Amazon. Didn't want to spend money but for an extra 6 bucks it's protected for an additional 2years beyond warranty.
  10. raytheappleguy macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2014
    Montreal suburb
    About the super drive not so super

You did well to get that Samsung rhuarc3

I just bought a iMac last month, my first Mac; have OS X 10.10 and had difficulty using my LG Super Multi external optical drive (6 year old) so I bought the Apple Super drive and realized after a while that my LG was just fine, I hadn't followed the proper way to burn.

After plenty of testing I know now that the super drive only works if plugged in directly to the iMac's usb port, won't work on a hub.

Using the very same Memorex -R DVD discs on both optical external drives, the LG has the advantage of working if plugged into a powered hub, not the Super Drive; furthermore I can burn at 16x the very same data which for some reason I can only burn at max 12x but most often 8x on the super drive.

So your Samsung was a good choice as long as your son doesn't try to slide in a sclice of bread to make toast.