Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomala27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
My superdrive just stopped working, it wont open, unless i do it manually, I have rebooted several times and it still wont read any discs i put in it,( and i have to put them in my opening it with a paperclip). Someone please help me.

icarusflies

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
I assume you have a G5 tower.

Open up you mac and check the power and ribbon cables are firmly attached and connected. If it's still spinning though and no power to tray. The drive could have failed

I had a failed drive in my PMG5 Tower after about 15 months

I ended up replacing the drive.
Apple sells the superdrive for £250
I bought a OEM Pioneer 109black for £45 - dual layer and bloody fast.

Unfortunately as these drives aren't 'chipped' by Apple so they won't write using ilife applications.
There is a simple fix available called Patchburn available from Patchburn.de
- tiger and panther version available.

The drive should just slot in but you should be aware of 2 things
1. The drive tray front will need to be removed - this just clips off
2. The drives are mounted on 4 mounting screws to compensate between the sizes of sony/pioneer drives. If you have a pioneer superdrive in already the screws will be the right height, but if its a sony you will need to get some mounting screws from apple (or cobble something together from a hardware store)

Instructions of fitting the drive can be found on the apple website - think its under do it yourself - look for fitting memory its around there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.