SuperDrive only likes OSX disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fleshman03, Jan 11, 2009.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Hey all

Wondering what you all think. The SuperDrive on my MBP will not read/write DVDs/CDs. It takes the disk, closes the door, spins it around for a little while and then ejects it.

I managed to get it to load up the OSX disk. It will take it, eject it, I'll push it back in and think "you will take it" and it does. This method doesn't work with any other disk and only works once in a while with the OSX disk.

What could this be? Hardware failure? Software? I'm at a loss here. I get the problem no matter who made the disk. Personally burned or M$ burned.

Tired repairing permissions and reseting the PRAM - no luck.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hardware, almost certainly. However, to be sure, try rebooting the computer, holding the option key until you see a menu appear asking you to select a boot disk. Instead of doing so, you can try inserting various disks and see if it spits them out as well. You can eject a disk with the up arrow.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

My iMac is doing the same thing but I've not got it to load any disc whatsoever.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, why don't you try...

6. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Just in case anyone comes across this thread by searching or something...

I tried holding the Opt key while rebooting. Got to the boot loader and put a disk in. It was the same case. It ended up being a defective SuperDrive. Went to my campus computer store and they replaced it under AppleCare.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution