Superdrive only writing at 2.4x - it didn't use to!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Garrod, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Garrod macrumors regular

Garrod

Hello!

Sometimes I use Bootcamp to use Windows, mainly for Nero (I find it far more versatile and hell, reliable and quicker, than Toast, but that's another story).

Anyway, for some reason, no matter what brand of DVD-R I'm using it will only recognise the drive at being able to burn at 2.4x, as opposed to it previously being fine at 8x.

Any ideas anyone? I appreciate this may be more of a Windows related problem but seeing as it's Apple hardware I thought I'd give it a go here first.

Cheers.

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Check the custom read/write speed in your settings. Do you know what i mean because I don't know the exact name. :) :)

3. Garrod thread starter macrumors regular

Garrod

Yes, I know what you mean. The MAXIMUM speed it offers is 2.4x. Very strange.

4. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Yes, very strange. Try burning anything using something else, say disk utility, and see at what speed it writes.

5. Garrod thread starter macrumors regular

Garrod

Right,

I've used at least three different brands of disk (and they're definitely NOT dual layers!) ranging from 8x to 16x and also tried burning in Mac OS X using both Toast and Disk Utility...same problem! I'm only being offered 2.4x! Any ideas now anyone?

6. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Try cleaning the drive. Other than that, I might have to do some research for you.