Superdrive problem, advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mw011i, May 5, 2009.

1. mw011i macrumors newbie

Lately my superdrive has been acting up. I would put a CD or DVD in and it would rev up a couple of times, then immediately eject. I took it to the apple store tonight and they decided to replace it. 30 minutes later, I was on my way.

I just got home and the same thing is happening. I put the media in, it revs a couple of times, and then ejects. I'm pretty sure they actually put a replacement drive in, because this one sounds slightly different (upon boot up, inserting discs, etc.).

Anybody else experience anything like this? I'm heading back to the Apple store tomorrow, but it seems strange that the exact same thing would happen to two different optical drives. Could it be software related?

MBP 2.2 intel 15"

2. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

My superdrive can be very touchy at times, ejecting about 10% of the CDs and DVDs I put into it which is rather annoying to say the least.

I guess that you have tried a whole variety of different CD and DVDs in the new drive to test it right? It wont even recognise a single one?

Anyway, take it back again obviously as you say. Good luck with the 3rd one! Superdrives can be damned picky..:mad:

3. dillacom macrumors regular

I had the same issue. I had to reset the PRAM and NVRAM. That reset some things on the logic board that allowed the drive to read the discs. here are the instructions. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US
    I had reset the PMU before and that didn't work but the PRAM did it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. mw011i thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just about to reset the PRAM and NVRAM when I decided to try one more blank DVD and it recognized it! Although, after it burned maybe 10% I received a toast warning: "The drive reported an error:
    Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
    Sense Code = 0x03"

After ejecting this disc, I tried 3 more movies and they all mounted and played without problem. So far, so good. I'll try a few more burns, and post any problems.

Thanks for all your advice.

6. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I had similar issues with my Superdrive not too long ago. My drive started spitting dvd's, particularly dual layer burnable dvd's, I decided to open the drive and physically clean the lens with alcohol based solution and lint free q-tip. Seems to have worked and have not had any issues since. If you do so, be very delicate with the lens. If you are worried about your MBP warranty then this may not be a solution for you.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Hardware error could also be related to certain things like physical movement of the computer, data not being sent to the burner fast enough (that happens when you're accessing the HDD a lot and data gets queued up).

OP said his drive was replaced.