SuperDrive Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by waynepixel, Apr 30, 2007.

1. waynepixel macrumors regular

Hi

Well after my superdrive stopped burning disks at 4x, and now only burns disks at 2x, the burner has now stopped working all together. Can anyone here advise me as to what make or model I need for a replacement superdrive. :confused: :(

2. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Answers may vary depending on what type of computer you have. Assuming its your Mac mini in your signature, you need a slot loading optical drive. I have seen them a few times at Tiger Direct.

3. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

If anyone knows where I can buy a new superdrive online in the UK, could you please post the link. I am searching now, but am not having mush luck at the moment. I really do not want to pay apple prices, if you know what mean.

4. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I assume you have tried different brands of DVD - I have read a lot of threads where people suggest poor quality media fails to burn a lot of the time.

5. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with the drive is that it will not read any of my DVD disks, I have only got the drive to read CDs.

6. dex22 macrumors regular

If it reads CDs but not DVDs you know the lens and laser subsystem is okay. CDs are much coarser than DVDs, optically speaking. Chances are that the optical head needs cleaning...

When you consider that the drive is potentially junked anyway if you can't clean it, it's worth removing it and taking the cover off and using a Q-tip and some alcohol to clean the lens and see if that improves the situation. If it doesn't, you can replace the drive with a number of slot-loading mechanisms by Pioneer or Sony that have far superior specs. It would be quite easy to find a UK supplier...

Hope this helps...

7. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advise, do you know what Pioneer or Sony model I would need to work with my Mac Mini.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're looking to save money, perhaps an external drive would be helpful.

9. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

I would buy external drive, but you cannot boot from a external drive.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

As long as it is a FireWire connected drive you can boot from it.

The Mac mini is not that hard to open either.

11. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Could you tell me how to boot from a firwire drive. When I tryed it did not work.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hold down Option or 'C' for optical drives only.

13. Simon1966 macrumors regular

Type the following item number into Ebays serach box: 140099366829

This is the correct superdrive for your Mac Mini. I have bought from him before and he is okay, items arrives in about 7 days from Hong Kong and is really well packaged. Also no tax or customs duty payable.

Regards simon

14. giacecco macrumors newbie

Me too

I have the same problem, started out of the blue this weekend. Burning a DVD fails a few seconds after opening a session. Burning CDs works fine, no problems when reading CDs or DVDs apparently. Is the drive really broken?

Giacecco

15. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

UJ-845 is a good replacement for a mini superdrive. here is the ebay UK Listings for the correct drive.

lots of take apart guides around, and it is an easy swap if you are decent with screwdrivers. best of luck.

16. giacecco macrumors newbie