Superdrive problems with Aluminum MBP 15" (not unibody)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tuna, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tuna macrumors 6502

A while ago something fell on my open MBP right above the superdrive and dented the top panel. Since then, as far as I can tell I've been reading media fine, but the Superdrive will no longer burn or automatically eject. The slot is a little warped.

I'm considering fixing it, as I've found that I can get a replacement drive for under $130. However, I've done some research and seen that if I have to replace the top and/or bottom casings that they cost ~$250 each, which is not near worth it to me.

So will I be able to fix the MBP without replacing the casings? If I fit a new Superdrive in there, will it possibly reshape the top casing and work?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You can get them for $75 or $80 on Amazon...and I would definitely try to remove the dent as much as possible from the casing before putting the new one in.

You don't want to have the dent in the casing cause the same issue on a new drive.

If it's not unibody, then the top (keyboard bezzle) i'm guessing is what's dented. This should come off after the removal of about 15 screws or so. Get some good instructions.

Flip the bezzle, and use a rubber hammer to gently try and flatten the dent back out a bit.

Otherwise, just see if you can find the bezzle for sale a little cheaper on ebay or amazon.

3. tuna thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, not $250, but I did find places where I can get the top casing for ~$150 supposedly. And the superdrive for as low as $60.