SuperDrive Problems

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I've got an early 2007 Macbook Pro, C2D 2.16 GHz, thats having some severe Superdrive issues. The original drive has been out of commission for months, with the drive actually accepting a disc and spinning up, only to eject it 10-20 seconds after. The other peculiarity is that the drive fails to show up in System Information, its not in ATA Devices or Disc Burning hardware either, nor does it appear in Disk Utility. I bought a known working Superdrive, installed it (even changing out the drive cable in case it was that) and get the same thing; it will take a disc in, spin up a few times, then spit it back out without the computer even acknowledging anything happened. Any ideas?

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
I've got an early 2007 Macbook Pro, C2D 2.16 GHz, thats having some severe Superdrive issues. The original drive has been out of commission for months, with the drive actually accepting a disc and spinning up, only to eject it 10-20 seconds after. The other peculiarity is that the drive fails to show up in System Information, its not in ATA Devices or Disc Burning hardware either, nor does it appear in Disk Utility. I bought a known working Superdrive, installed it (even changing out the drive cable in case it was that) and get the same thing; it will take a disc in, spin up a few times, then spit it back out without the computer even acknowledging anything happened. Any ideas?
Dead drive. Just toss it and get an external unit.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
if you replaced the drive yourself you will have a lot more expertise than most here, i would just send it in for repair.

hopefully the new MBP will put an end to these kind of issues.(no more superdrive)

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NC
if you replaced the drive yourself you will have a lot more expertise than most here, i would just send it in for repair.

hopefully the new MBP will put an end to these kind of issues.(no more superdrive)
Ugh, I can't even imagine what Apple would charge me to fix this; I fear since the cable and drive were ok that its either the connector on the logic board, or the board itself, but I was hoping for second opinions. At that point, I may as well just declare it a lost cause.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
if it is the "logic board" then the repair would be close to the cost of new unit. Look for an external drive.

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Ugh, I can't even imagine what Apple would charge me to fix this; I fear since the cable and drive were ok that its either the connector on the logic board, or the board itself, but I was hoping for second opinions. At that point, I may as well just declare it a lost cause.
That is the reason why I suggested that you toss the super drive all together and use an external unit instead.