SuperDrive Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Senseotech, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

I've got an early 2007 Macbook Pro, C2D 2.16 GHz, thats having some severe Superdrive issues. The original drive has been out of commission for months, with the drive actually accepting a disc and spinning up, only to eject it 10-20 seconds after. The other peculiarity is that the drive fails to show up in System Information, its not in ATA Devices or Disc Burning hardware either, nor does it appear in Disk Utility. I bought a known working Superdrive, installed it (even changing out the drive cable in case it was that) and get the same thing; it will take a disc in, spin up a few times, then spit it back out without the computer even acknowledging anything happened. Any ideas?

2. Takashi macrumors regular

Dead drive. Just toss it and get an external unit.

3. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Ahem...

:rolleyes:

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if you replaced the drive yourself you will have a lot more expertise than most here, i would just send it in for repair.

hopefully the new MBP will put an end to these kind of issues.(no more superdrive)

5. Senseotech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

Ugh, I can't even imagine what Apple would charge me to fix this; I fear since the cable and drive were ok that its either the connector on the logic board, or the board itself, but I was hoping for second opinions. At that point, I may as well just declare it a lost cause.

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if it is the "logic board" then the repair would be close to the cost of new unit. Look for an external drive.

7. Takashi macrumors regular

That is the reason why I suggested that you toss the super drive all together and use an external unit instead.