SuperDrive Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RichardBeer, Feb 25, 2011.

1. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

Assuming that the super drive burns DVDs at 8x. I am under the impression that the superdrive has not changed for a long time. Discounting the speculation that Apple will be phasing it out of their macs in due time. My question is:

Isn't the superdrive really outdated if it only burns DVDs at 8x? As far as I know optical drives can go all the way up to 52x and therefore having such a slow drive in such an expensive and prosumer product seems a little odd.

However I don't claim to know much about optical drives, it's not one of my strong points. So if anyone can shed light on the matter I would be really grateful.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

The fastest DVD writer I know of burns SL DVDs with 24x speed, it is this one:
    http://www.expansys.com/liteon-dvd-...=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

Also note, that it is a desktop (5.25") tray-loading burner, the MBPs and MBs and iMacs and Mac minis all use slim notebook slot-loading DVD burners.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The number of x's in the write rate of an optical drive is incredibly misleading. The largest number refers is the write rate on the outer rim of the disc. This number drops as the laser moves closer to the center.

That said, optical discs on computers have seen their best days. The first MacBook Air was not so much a sign of things to come as it was a an acknowledgment of the World as it exists.