Superdrive Question

Sammis89

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I just had a question... how many people who would not generally need a superdrive (people who dont do alot of DVD making) purchased a Mac with one? Also, to those who do own a superdrive, do you feel that it was worth the extra $$$ for the amount you use it?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Sammis89 said:
I just had a question... how many people who would not generally need a superdrive (people who dont do alot of DVD making) purchased a Mac with one? Also, to those who do own a superdrive, do you feel that it was worth the extra $$$ for the amount you use it?
Keep in mind DVD making is not the only reason to have a superdrive, its also a lot better for backups and file storage. Personally, I wouldn't consider a computer today that didn't have a DVD burner, but thats me.

Comment

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I purchased a 17" imac with a superdrive, and I do not do any dvd editing. The main reason i chose that model was for the faster system bus, and cpu. However, now that I have it, I find myself using it often enough for backup, transferring files from one computer to another, and (dont hurt me) copying dvds to warrant me buying a 50-pack of dvd-r's. SO .. if you are trying to determine wether or not you want one, my advice would be this: If it is strictly an upgrade to the optical drive, Its probably not worth it for that alone unless you plan on using it quite often. However, if it is part of a package, like the 2.0ghz 17" imac, the 14" ibook, or the larger powerbooks, it may be an added perk to getting a superior system.

Comment

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I purchased an iBook G4 14" 1.42GHz and certainly didn't the SuperDrive. I could've ordered it with out the SuperDrive to make it Combo (I believe)

But wanted the SuperDrive for future backups, and maybe some future video work.

Comment

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Heb1228 said:
Keep in mind DVD making is not the only reason to have a superdrive, its also a lot better for backups and file storage. Personally, I wouldn't consider a computer today that didn't have a DVD burner, but thats me.
That's how I would have said it, too, though I don't fit the profile of the person in the first part of your question.
X

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.