SuperDrive Rejects All Media

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SubaruNation555, Nov 22, 2008.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My MacBook Pro (2.2GHz Santa Rosa) will not mount any media with the exception of some commercially produced DVDs. I am trying to install Adobe CS4 and the drive will take the disk but just spit it back out after trying to read it several times. The DVD works just fine on the MacBook in the house so it's not the disk. Also, it does the same thing with burned CDs or DVDs. I have tired a dozen different disks, resetting the computer and restarting the SMC. Any other suggestions before I make an appointment with a Genius? Thanks and here are the details of the drive:

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:

Firmware Revision: AP09
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

2. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I had the same problem with the same drive - same firmware revision too - in my MBP 2.4 SR. It played/accepted the commercial DVDs and I was able to burn CDs with iTunes but no luck with DVDs (just sometimes with Verbatim discs) no matter what I tried. When the unibody MBP came out I sold it and I bought a new "old" MBP 2.5 which has the same drive with AP12 firmware. It works so far...
    So just save your time and make an appointment with a Genius not much else you can do. It seems to be a common problem there are couple of topics about it.