Superdrive Repair Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NaSsAsSaN, Jan 3, 2009.

1. NaSsAsSaN macrumors newbie

NaSsAsSaN

I recently sent my Macbook (160GB 2GBRAM 2.2ghz) out for repair through my local Apple Store in Providence, RI. The tech at the genius bar had told me (at a previous appointment) that it is recommended that I back up my data. I tried to transfer my data over my network to my Mac, but unfortunately, due to work complications (I travel quite often), I didn't have the 2 hours needed to do so. I did transfer my vital documents needed for work, but unfortunately my music, movies, and photographs didn't make the cut.

I'm curious, have any of you sent out your devices for superdrive repair and not have had your data erased? Or did they ultimately have to reformat your hard drives?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They recommend you back up not because they erase your drives, but rather in case your drive fails, or some freak accident breaks your computer. If you're not too concerned about that, I don't see them erasing your drive. Besides you can always tell the Genius don't erase the drive.

Normally if this is for work, I'd think your job might require you to erase the drive?