Superdrive replacement for a G4 iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gooser, Nov 9, 2014.

1. gooser macrumors 6502a

having trouble finding one of these however i have no trouble finding a new combo drive. the combo drive is 16x10x40. will this work? the drive it's replacing is a 8x8x24 and burns dvd's at 1x. as long as this thing will read dvd's and burn cd's i can live without the burning of dvd's. any opinions? i think i can figure out what the 16x10x40 means but can someone translate it for me?

2. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Write x Rewrite X Read. The combo drive will work provided it is ATA.

3. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

it states that it is ide. same thing, right? since i posted i've found a faster one made by buslink.

4. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Yes.

Actually it's PATA or IDE.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Most any IDE/PATA 5 1/4" optical drive will work in an iMac G4. As with many Macs-depending on the exact configuration of the drive and the computer-you may need to remove the front cover from the tray to get it to open and close correctly in the computer. This is relatively minor surgery.

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

1 thing

any normal "short length" one should work just be ready to remove the front door of the tray as it may catch on the drop down door of the iMac. mine did so i had to.

7. gooser thread starter macrumors 6502a

i haven't bought the optical drive yet but today i ordered a replacement hard drive for the imac. ssd drive. and this will be an os9 computer. should be an interesting upgrade project.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

The only thing to research is noise levels as iMacs tend to amplify those coming from the optical drive. Some drives perform well with just a whoosh, others sound like a washing machine on a spin cycle. That can get old pretty quickly.

9. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Would a ide drive with light scribe work in a G4 iMac also is there any software foe the light scribe on a Mac ?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would work, if it fits and has the jumpers set correctly. I don't know of any LightScribe software that will work with PowerPC Macs.

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I put a Lightscribe drive in an MDD the other day...it was just what I happened to pick up out of my parts box. It worked fine as a DVD reader/writer.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

LaCie makes a universal LightScribe software. I am not sure if it would work on an internal drive but here it is if you want to check it out.

13. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Thanks will give it a try :D

14. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

I stuck a DVD+RW drive I bought from Goodwill for $5 in my Mac Pro, and it works fine.