Superdrive replacement help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dlacar88, Oct 12, 2010.

1. dlacar88 macrumors newbie

I have a MBP circa 2007 model A1226. As a last resort to problems with my superdrive, can I swap in a superdrive from a Macbook (circa 2006)?

Are the drives compatible?

Other option is to just buy a replacement. But I have access to parts from a Macbook and want to know if I can salvage the superdrive.

Thanks.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The superdrive in the MBP should be the exact same part as the superdrive in the MB. All of the unibody MB/MBP's have SATA superdrives. You could get a uMB superdrive and put it in a uMBP and have it work. All of the non-unibody (multibody?) MB/MBP's use PATA superdrives. You could put the MB superdrive into the MBP and have it work.

4. dlacar88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch.

I went to ifixit.com also, and found a grid that shows compatible parts between mb and mbp. nice resource.

supported exactly what you stated.

5. JudeEm macrumors newbie

Superdrive replacement help

I have the same MBP with the same prob. It's driving me. I re-set what Apple support docs have ya reset and the drive still ejects disks, that's all it does. Sheesh. I may have to replace it.

This morning I repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility. Still the same.

Searching around for answers, I saw that the internal connector simply came loose for some people. I'm wary of opening up my MBP and looking for it. Anyone here done that? I don't have any Applecare warranty to worry about...

The person who did that (I'd add an attachment of a screen shot but I don't know how to add it here) said they took the optical drive out and cleaned the connectors, put it back, and it worked.

(Don't know what to do, myself...)

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Click Here For Instructions

-Skip this step if you dont plan on removing the drive-
    Step 6 you need to remove the screw that holds the black bracket to get access to the drive screw, you do not need to remove any of those cables just be careful moving it.

Move on to the next page, Step 9.

You can see in the first picture the Black Square, that connects the drive to the logicboard. It then folds down and turns into the sata connector to connect to the drive, if anywhere these are the two points it will be loose.

-If you are removing the drive-
    Continue to remove the other two screws holding the drive and disconnect the drive from the board(Black Square) and remove.

Repeat backwards to put drive in :)

The above is for a new unibody - Here are instructions for the old Macbook Pros

Click Here for Old Macbook Pro Instructions

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Can you share the link to that grid please? :)

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Have you guys tried opening your optical drive and cleaning the dust from the laser sensors? (there are two). I had the same problem before with my MBP Penryn SuperDrive, wouldn't burn DVDs or CD's with hit or miss reading. I opened it and cleaned it up and works like a charm now.

9. JudeEm macrumors newbie

tjb1,

I appreciate the response post — thanx.

Mine is A1226 model. I really want to see if the drive can be saved, you know? If I can gently remove it enough, do I wipe it with (I don't know) a mildly most cloth, or do I use rubbing alcohol? I am a NEWbie regarding what to do to spiff it up, before re-inserting it in the hope that re-attaching a freshened drive will be the answer.

Would you be able to post instructions (or link to instructions;)) to take out the DVD drive on the very old MBP? The A1226 (which I got in 2008)?

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The very last instructions didnt apply to yours?

11. JudeEm macrumors newbie

My MBP is older yet. A1226. Got it in 2008.

Think there's a guide to taking that superdrive out or checking it's connection? I'm such a NEWbie to fussing with its hardware. I've never done it before.

I'd be willing to, given a reliable looking tutorial or guidance if it's available. Otherwise, I dread considering an external DVD drive and dread further the expense of letting someone else replace it.

The best thing possible might be for me to gently go in and loosen it out, follow instructions on perhaps tidying the drive up. (How?) And then, firmly re-attach it where it may have been loosened through time and travel.

If this is possible, I'll follow leads!