superdrive replacement not apparent. Why?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redsquash, May 26, 2008.

1. redsquash macrumors member

I physically removed my superdrive and replaced it with the same model. It is a Panasonic uj845 superdrive.
    No device was found when I went into ABOUT this MAC ---------dvd/cd.
    I inserted a cd which went in but cant be ejected, with the eject button.Its still stuck there.

I believe I connected all the cables properly ,but as this is the first time I may not have.
    Are there any traps I may have fallen into.
    I would prefer not to disassemble this 5 or 6 times before I get it right . The items are very delicate
    Connecting the superdrive to the motherboard took several attempts but it seemed secure
    Powerbook g4 17inch 1.67ghz
    There are no jumpers to set

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

What mac are you using?
    Any brand dvd drive, should work in a mac pro.
    I think you might want to check your jumpers, on the back of the dvd drive.
    If it's the only drive, I believe you should set it to master.
    Just play around with it cable select might also work.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you 100% sure that the replacement superdrive is OK ?

Where did it come from - it may be DOA (it happens).

It does sound as if it not getting any power (not ejecting).

Why did you have to replace the superdrive - did it exhibit the same symptoms or was it noisy or whatever ?

4. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

DOA------ I have never heard of that for a PAasonic optical drive, but how can I check ,if I am not a technician having only opened this for the first time.
    It is more likely to be something I failed to do in some minor way.
    If no power then why would it take my disc? There are a few noises.
    If no power then the disc wouldn't get inside the powerbook. Is that true?

Prior drive was recognised but kept ejecting the disc. It was probably worn out and needed replacing.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I would open up your Mac again and make sure all the connections are secure. Power might be getting to it but the data connection is not since it isn't be recognized nor responding to the eject button. Check the connections at both ends, the drive and the logic board.

6. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I will do that agaian,
    Any tips on how the connection should be with the logic board. If you havent physically done this then you wont understand the implications

7. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Well, I know a macbook or powerbook is a pain to take apart in that there are like 20 screws just to open it. The ribbon cable is delicate but if you work with just the ends you should be fine. I think my Mac Mini had a ribbon cable that ended with a square connector to the logic board when I replace the RAM and HD in it. Which might be the same for you. Just have to try and shimmy the connector up on all the sides until it pops off, then reseat it back on the logic board.

8. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Have you checked the jumper settings. It sure sounds like that may be your trouble.

9. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

there are no jumper settings . I just installed the unit after removing the defective one.
    Does every optical drive have jumper settings?
    removing the cables was nerve racking but my onlty concern might be the connection to the logic board, though I was careful ,it was my first attempt.

Also maybe it was my imgination, but I seemed I had to push th edisk in a lot further than normal before the disc sucke din my cd

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

No, laptop drives do not have jumpers.

My drive I have to put the CD in about 3/4 of the way before it sucks it in.

11. SamoanDude macrumors regular

This same thing happened to me when an Apple Care tech came to the house to replace my drive. I didn't work at all when hr got through. It ended up being the ribbon cable. He ordered a new one, came back, and it worked fine after that.

12. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

A technician tested my optical drive and found it was set to Master.
    My readings indicate if the optical drive is to be set to Master , then the Hard disk needs to be set to slave.
    Changing the optical to slave seems very difficult so

How do I set the hDD jumpers to slave instead . I presume they exist?

I need a link and instructions as to how to perform this on my powerbook G4 1.67ghz

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some optical drivers have a set of 4-6 pins that are not grouped with the connector; connect jumpers to connect two of the those pins; should say in the documentation that came with your drive what which pins to connect.

14. redsquash thread starter macrumors member

I have no documentation. I tried searching but the WWW ............ no joy
    Any help please?