superdrive sound at startup suddenly on 2010 mbp15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Sep 19, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

hi all,

i've got my new mbp15 i5 for almost a week now and everything has been great so far.

however today suddenly the superdrive decided to make a 1-2 second 'seeking' sound at *every* startup. there is no dvd inserted nor have i used it even once in this week. it does this at the grey apple screen at the same time the apple "chime" sounds.

i am pretty sure it didn't to this up until today, i am not particularly concerned but why would it start doing this after a week on its own?

is it normal and can i turn it off again? i have seen a firmware update for this issue, but that was for 2009 mbp's ..... however since there is an update for this on earlier models made me wonder if it is indeed an issue and not normal behaviour.

i tried the reset tip on the apple support page, but to no avail. i think it was dead silent yesterday.

thanks!

2. JS2C macrumors newbie

I think it is normal...I have that sound on all of my macbooks

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

I have this too. It's normal I think.

Maybe you can disable the Superdrive as a bootable option or something? ( i'm just doing a wild guess )

4. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well googling around made it seem like it is 'normal'. /i just think it is odd that there is an update for this for 2009 mbp's and that i am 100% sure that up until this evening it has been dead silent, it is louder then the chime currently :)

i really dont think it is important enough to call apple about, but i still find it annoying .... a little.

5. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I have had that noise in every PowerBook / MacBook I have owned. Don't know why it needs to do it but it does.

6. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mmm guess i will be having to get used to it then!

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Chances are you didn't notice it before. All Macbooks do that during bootup to check which drive will be the boot drive.

8. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot, but as i wrote i tried the reset trick for the 2009 model to no avail......

9. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well to make things even stranger and confirm that i wasn't imagining things ... today it was dead silent again during boot up, i just heard the chime but no sound whatsoever of the superdrive.

our imac at work is quiet too, but a coworkers mb also makes the drive seek sound at boot time.

guess i will be ignoring it from now on whatever it decides to do or dont at startup :)