SuperDrive speeds on new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lucab1982, May 17, 2011.

1. lucab1982 macrumors member

I have been scouring the internet trying to find greater detail on the new SuperDrive speed, the model is the Sony OptiArc AD-5690H but I still cannot find full details on the read and write speeds.

I have noticed that Apple DVD drives have always been slower than the market average. Why is this the case? Any information would be useful. Thanks!

2. MacHamster68, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the answer is simple "its more profitable " apple always uses the "superdrivees" from the manufacturer where they get the biggest discounts if they order huge quantities...same for HDD's, SSD's, RAM....., and as less and less people burn backups or other things to discs since the envention of usb sticks it does not make sense for apple to offer the absolute best dvd rw drive they can find on the market

it is just a misconception that apple would source only superior parts for their iMac's, only because of the price tag of the finished product , after all all the stores and the development and production cost money and to be able to afford all those things apple needs to make profits , and for most the outside and OSX are more important then the inner parts as long as the final product works