Superdrive Transplant?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fontosaurus, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Fontosaurus macrumors newbie

So back in the day, I got myself a Rev. A PowerPC Mac Mini with a Superdrive. It lasted about three years of 24-7 uptime. Not long after I got RIF'ed from my agency job (like 3 days later), the logic board on the system **** the bed and I was out a computer. During a job hunt.

So I took part of my downsizing money and went to the Apple Store and got a 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini, but with very basic specs. Including a Combo drive.

I still have the remains of the G4 taking up space. But what I'm wondering is this: is it possible to take the Superdrive from that dead G4 and put it in the Intel system? Or is there some fundamental issue I've overlooked with that?

2. California macrumors 68040

California

I can't recall off the top of my head if the Intel mini is old enough to still have the PATA connection on the optical drive, but if it does, you should be in luck.

The PPC minis used PATA connections on both hard drive and optical drive.

Google around for the specs on your 1.83 intel to double check but I would hazard a hesitant 'yes".

P.S. It's strange but I have rarely heard of the mini logic board dying. What exactly was wrong with it? You should try to sell it for parts anyway.

3. SqB macrumors 6502

new mac mini has sata optical drive.

You might want to consider an inexpensive burner and external enclosure. Maybe even wait and do an external Blu-Ray.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Should work considering both are PATA drives.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yep it will transplant as earlier stated. Did you check to make sure it wasn't the power supply that died on the G4 Mini first?