Superdrive update 2.1 problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hendilemos, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Hendilemos macrumors newbie

I've just made the download and installation of this firmware from Apple. It asked me to restart the computer then appeared another installation process with a warning for me don't boot the system till the process is done. One more boot and I got a message like "You installed a software for a hardware that doesn't exist" or something like that. I booted again and the same message appeared.

And I got a system crash, not during the installation process, but I think the system turned uninstable after the update.

Anyone with the same problem ?

2. windupbird525 macrumors newbie

I've got a similar problem here.

After installing the superdrive update (following instructions step by step and rebooting after), nothing strange happened. BUT when I restarted my MB the other day, the superdrive update came up again, and displayed the message "no device requires this superdrive update" or something along these lines. And now every time I reboot, I get this message once I enter OSX! I can't turn this bloody thing off!! Does anyone have any clues?

Using White MB 2.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, Superdrive with DVD burning. Late 2006 Batch. :apple:

3. TSE macrumors 68030

I had the same problem, so what I did to fix it was go to Applications, than Utilities, than drag the "Superdrive update 2.1" icon to the trash. All good. :cool:

4. Hendilemos thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me put a little of conspiracy here

Well done TSE ! But what about the problem the update was adressed for ? My girlfriend bought a black macbook after I bought mine and I've always had the impression her notebook returns more quickly than mine from the sleep state when she opens the lid.

Is that any chance that we have different superdrives ?

I think I'll throw this thing off too !

5. Hendilemos thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Discussion

Hi There,

There's some threads about this subject in Apple Discussions, and I see no solution for it till now. It looks that the superdrive stoped functioning for some people, and deleting the file doesn't fix the problem. I've checked the hide buttom for the update from my accounts, login items, but didn't deleted the file yet.

Any news about that ?

A friend of mine installed the same uptade without problems and we have the same hardware according to the system profiler.

6. Heywood Jablome macrumors newbie

Dont delete it from disc utilities. You're really asking for future problems. Simply go to system preferences, click on accounts, click on login items highlight the startup item that you don't want to startup and click the minus sign to make the superdrive not startup every time you boot. Problem fixed until mac works out the bugs.

7. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

at least yours works.
    The firmware update rendered my superdrive useless!
    It's bricked.

8. JasonMac macrumors regular

JasonMac

Sorry about that Spencers :(

9. Verde macrumors newbie

Fix

I've had the same problem Hendilemos described (the update running on StartUp, with the message 'no devices were found that require this firmware update').

I just spoke to Apple Technical Support, who explained that the update did install correctly, but that it is unecessarily trying to install everytime the Mac is restarted.

I was advised to find the Superdrive Update 2.1 icon and drag it to the trash, then restart the Mac. That sorted the issue, and I could then empty my trash.

Hope this helps someone.

10. jbaker00 macrumors newbie

Bricked SuperDrive

It bricked my Superdrive too. Since I do not use my drive that often it took me until this morning to figure it out. I called Apple Cares and my Macbook is under hardware coverage. They tried to get me to buy apple cares or pa one time fee even though I have the the HW coverage and I asked for an exception and they gave it. Now they are sending a box for me to send my macbook back to get the drive replaced. I should have avoided the update :( or maybe I will get a new improved Super Drive :)

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the second process that you saw was the firmware update. Did you restart while that 2nd process was working?

the first process was probably just any other update that required a restart.

12. ddfrog macrumors newbie

SuperDrive Update 2.1 fix

From: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305856

Issue or symptom

When installing the SuperDrive Firmware Update 2.1 at the same time as a Mac OS X Update that requires a restart, you may receive a message (after restarting and logging in) that states:

"No Updatable Devices Found.
    No devices were found that require this firmware update."

Products affected

* MacBook, MacBook Pro
    * SuperDrive Firmware Update 2.1

Solution

This message is not a cause for concern--the SuperDrive Firmware Update has been installed correctly.

To avoid the message, remove the update application from your login items:

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    2. From the View menu, choose Accounts.
    3. Click the Login Items pane.
    4. Select the SuperDrive Update 2.1 in the list of login items.
    5. Click the "–" button to remove the update from the list.
    6. Close the Accounts window.

13. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Just a little bump. I had to send my Macbook to Apple for service because of this..

However I received back a nicely working Dual Layer drive. (For some reason my original drive wasn't DL)

14. jaisai01 macrumors member

my drive is bricked however, i dont have applecare.. ya i know im stupid, but i was out of hte country when my mbp went out.. so i kinda got screwed.. how should i fix my dead drive, any help is much appreciated

15. metalmoses macrumors newbie

I had a clean install of this, it said everything went fine on my 2.33 mbp

I reboot, everything's bricked

apple took this one down so i assume somethings wrong with it